Acting couple return to stage for Sheringham summer drama season
- Credit: Archant
An acting couple are returning to their romantic roots when they team up for a summer drama season in Norfolk.
Tim Welton and Lynn Whitehead first met during summer rep at Stoke in 1989, and have gone on to forge successful careers while occasionally working together.
Now the couple are set to co-star in the opening play in Sheringham Little Theatre's summer drama season.
Mr Welton said: 'It is about 15 years since we were both on stage together, so we are really looking forward to it.
'Rep is a fabulous way to learn as a young actor. I did 15 different pieces in my first two years, while other fellow students who were not in rep, did one or two.
'There is so much variety in the roles. In my first show Lynn and I played husband and wife, and saxophones, in a rock and roll musical, then she was my mother-in-law in Romeo and Juliet when I was Romeo.'
The pair, from Bury St Edmunds, were keen to return to acting after years of Mr Welton directing and his partner doing theatre education work.
- 1 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 2 Weather warning issued as wintry showers expected to cause icy conditions
- 3 'Oh God almighty, this woman!' - Zoom council meeting descends into chaos
- 4 Weather warning in place as snow falls in parts of Norfolk and Waveney
- 5 Man stopped 504 people from getting jabs after gluing vaccine centre locks
- 6 Boss 'gutted' after scenes cut from Ed Balls' Who Do You Think You Are?
- 7 Luxury manor for sale with a 'Hobbit house' in the grounds
- 8 OPINION: Delight when 'all you can eat' restaurants get their comeuppance
- 9 Teenager admits stabbing three people in Norwich city centre
- 10 Mercedes owner clocked doing 113mph on A47 escapes driving ban
He did three shows at Sheringham last summer. The north Norfolk summer will be a real family affair as 19-year-old daughter Sidi will be stage manager.
They will play multiple parts in the opening play - Alan Ayckbourn's Intimate Exchanges - which he is also directing. In a new chiller play-within-a-play, The Revival, he plays the director and she is a character called Diana.
Mr Welton was hoping to do a third summer drama at Sheringham but will now direct the musical Cabaret starring Will Young and Louise Redknapp, which begins touring in September.
He studied at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art and has also acted for the Royal National Theatre, while his partner's education work has involved spells with the New Wolsey Theatre at Ipswich and Theatre Royal Bury.
Intimate Exchanges opens the Sheringham Little Theatre summer drama season and runs from Friday, July 21 to Saturday, July 29. The Revival is from August 11 to 22.
The other summer dramas are The Business of Murder (August 1-9), A Bedfull of Foreigners (August 24 to September 5) and Noel and Gertie (September 7 to 13).
For tickets call the box-office on 01263 822347 or visit www.sheringhamlittletheatre.com