New children’s show at The Garage presents Shakespeare with a twist
- Credit: Sonya Duncan
My First Play: A Midsummer Night's Nap is an immersive retelling of the Shakespeare comedy designed for your little ones.
The play launches at The Garage on Saturday, July 20 and features actors from the National Theatre, New Wolsey Theatre in Ipswich and the West End.
Although aimed at ages up to seven, the production is for the whole family to enjoy with audience members actively encouraged to get up and take part in the fun and the audience are the "fifth member" of the cast.
Daniel Burgess, director of All-In Productions behind the show, said: "It's a stripped back version of the original play.
"If your children loved watching the CBeebies Presents stage shows like The Tempest, which is also by Shakespeare, or The Nutcracker they'll love A Midsummer Night's Nap.
You may also want to watch:
"It is important that youngsters' first impression of the theatre is engaging, exciting and relaxed.
"There's no shushing during a My First show - in fact it's the opposite.
- 1 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 2 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 3 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 4 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 5 Town's long wait for new £37m bypass nearly over as funding agreed
- 6 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 7 Man suffers injuries after road rage assault near retail park
- 8 'The vibe is good' - Return to normality on first day of Latitude Festival
- 9 Thunderstorms set to put dampener on weekend
- 10 St Benedict's Street restaurant closes due to 'pingdemic'
"The kids - and mums, dads and grandparents too - are part of the story with lots of singing, dancing and dressing up."
To celebrate the launch, the cast headed to The Forum to meet donkeys Esther and her mother Martha, who were rescued by Redwings Sanctuary in 2008.
The latest production follows the success of My First Circus: The Littlest Mermaid earlier this year which saw 1,200 people attend.
My First Play: A Midsummer Night's Nap runs until Sunday, August 4 at The Garage with daily showings at 10.15am, 1.15pm and 3.15pm.
Adult tickets cost £12.50 and concessions cost £7.50 and can be purchased at thegarage.co.uk