Things to do in Norfolk: 20 fantastic free events not to miss in June 2017
- Credit: Archant
Looking for something different to do that doesn't involve splashing the cash? Here's our guide to some of the fun and completely free activities taking place across Norfolk this June...
• Songwriting at The Drill House, Great Yarmouth, Thursday June 1, 2pm-4pm
If your children are looking for something creative to do this half term, why not get them involved in Great Yarmouth Music Week. Activities include a songwriting session at The Drill House suitable for those aged 7-14.
• Pop-up shops, Dalegate Market, June 1-30, 10am-4pm
If you're looking to do some shopping but are bored of the high street head to the north Norfolk coast and visit Dalegate Market which will host four local artisans and producers in its beach huts each week. The shops run from a Tuesday to a Thursday and will include Boo Boutique, Spare Time, Stuff with Style and CeeCees.
You may also want to watch:
• Storytime with Dennis the Fire Dragon, Downham Market Library, Thursday June 1, 10.30am-11.30am
A story session focusing on fire safety and awareness will be taking place at Downham Market Library with Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service. All children must be accompanied by an adult and Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service will be available to talk to parents about safety in the home.
- 1 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 2 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 3 Fired twice in two months: Events boss feels the pain of Covid
- 4 Norfolk bowls star tests positive at world indoor championships
- 5 Covid rates continue to fall across Norfolk, especially in Norwich
- 6 Revealed: The areas where Covid cases are still increasing
- 7 Man admits defrauding more than £1.3m from Norfolk firm
- 8 Man's neck broken after being hit by 800kg load which fell off forklift
- 9 9 of Norfolk's most famous blue plaques
- 10 A47 closed in both directions after crash
• Fashion Show, Great Yarmouth Town Hall, Friday June 2, 2pm
If you've got a passion for fashion you won't want to miss this event. The show is put on by Rambouillet students covering various social issues such as handicap, addiction, tolerance, respect, peace and love.
• Norwich Gaming Festival, The Forum, Monday May 29 - Saturday June 3
Calling all gamers! Don't miss out on this exciting event consisting of games, events, talks and a learning week. Find out what's on when by visiting norwichgamingfestival.com
• Great Yarmouth Arts Festival, Friday June 2 - Sunday June 11
A huge selection of events will be taking place over the week, including a carnival procession on Saturday June 3 with performances from various groups including a Samba band. Food and drink will be available all afternoon. Visual art displays will also be held as well as music performances by The Norwich Mozart Orchestra and The Marlow Town Band. Find out more at greatyarmouthartsfestival.co.uk
• Community Fair, Great Yarmouth Community Library, Saturday, June 3, 11am-3.30pm
Local community groups will be coming together at the Library to put on a fun day with activities, stalls, crafts, cakes and performances. Highlights will include a bicycle powered smoothie maker and BBQ.
• American & Classic Car Display, Anchor Plaza, Great Yarmouth, Sunday June 4, 11.30am onwards
Motor fans won't want to miss this display of classic vehicles, including Hot Rod's, Harley Davidson bikes and trikes by the East Coast Pirates Car Club
• Fun Dog Walk, Sandringham Country Park, Sunday June 4, 11am-1pm
A fun dog walk in aid of Guide Dogs for the Blind will be taking place around Sandringham Country Park. Attendees will have the opportunity to meet guide dogs and learn more about them.
• This Girl Can at King's Lynn Golf Club, Tuesday June 6
The This Girl Can initiative was developed by Sport England and aims to encourage women to try different sports. This event is for those aged 16 and over and offers a free one hour golf taster lesson with the club's Head PGA Professional James Weight. Ladies can register their interest by calling Stephanie on 01553 631654.
• The Big Draw, St George's Theatre, Great Yarmouth, Saturday June 10, 10am-4pm
A day where everyone is welcome to come along and try their hand at different types of drawing, from still life to architecture. All materials and instructions will be provided.
• Diss Carnival 2017, Diss, Sunday June 11, From 12.45pm
Diss' biggest party of the year takes place in the heart of the town with this year's theme being Carnival Through The Ages. Expect a colourful procession through the town centre followed by a Fun Day in the park complete with stalls, entertainment, taster sessions and various other activities.
• Blakeney Book Fair, Saturday May 27 - Friday June 2, Blakeney Church Rooms, 10am-5pm
Book lovers won't want to miss out on this book fair, where they'll find a great selection of second-hand and antique books ideal for the dealer, collector or casual reader. Old Postcards, prints and maps will also be available to purchase.
• Norfolk & Norwich Open Studios, Various locations, Saturday May 27 - Sunday June 11
The open studios celebrates the work of more than 515 artists across 254 venues and 13 schools ranging from professional studios to spare rooms. Over 15 art trails will be on offer, giving people the chance to visit a number of artists in their area. A range of art forms will be on display, including sculpture, glass, printing, mosaics, textiles and more. For more information visit nnopenstudios.org.uk
• Norwich Food and Drink Festival, The Forum, Norwich, Sunday June 18, 10am-5pm
Taking place at The Forum and St Peter's Street, this fun-filled family event promises to be bigger than ever, with cookery demonstrations, a beer garden, stalls, free samples, live music and various other activities.
• Caister Carnival, King George V Playing Field, Caister, Sunday June 25, 11am-3pm
This traditional village carnival will feature a procession, entertainment from local dance and theatre schools, a display of ducks, ducklings, chickens and chicks with opportunities for children to watch eggs hatch. Also taking place on the day will be classic side show games, races, a BBQ and fun dog classes.
• Americana Day, The Red Feather Club, Sunday June 25, 10am-4pm
Join the 95th Bomb Group at their family fun day celebrating all things American. The free event will feature trade stalls, classic American cars, hot rods and military vehicles. Admission to the museum commemorating the bomb group will also be free on this day.
• 1940s Fair, Great Yarmouth Market Place, Sunday June 25, 12pm-4pm
A 1940s themed fair will be taking place in Great Yarmouth to commemorate the 75th anniversary of the bombing of St. Nicholas Church. The festivities will include an appearance by the Dad's Army Museum from Thetford, who specialise in all things to do with the popular TV show. A taste of 1940s food will also be on offer and a brass band will be keeping everyone entertained with a selection of songs.
• Festival of Sail, Hunters Yard, Ludham, Sunday June 25, 10am-4pm
An interesting event for anyone interested in Norfolk sailing and hire fleet. Visit Hunters Yard, explore the area and see yachts from local yacht hire yards.
• Hunstanton Carnival, Hunstanton, Sunday June 25, 12.30pm onwards
The annual Hunstanton Carnival is back and this year's theme is All the Fun of the Fair. Head on down to Hunstanton Recreation Ground from 12.30pm to catch the parade, before enjoying a range of stalls and activities.
• Are you hosting a great local event? Email email@example.com