Swing Bridge Race at Beccles ASC
The summer sailing schedule continued last weekend at Beccles Amateur Sailing Club as preparation for this years August regatta took place along side the final week of sailing school before twenty three helms enjoyed a sometimes slow and painful sail down to the old swing bridge and back.
Passage through the tall trees and the return against the strong ebbing tide was a challenge for all but the quickest, with five losing the will as the wind dropped off and resorting to a tow. Mark Langston in his Harrier was first back in just over an hour and eight corrected seconds separated Rowan Curtis for second and Kevin Edwards for third.
Juniors were spoilt for choice during Sunday's Open event in which OOD Rory Kelsey officiated over three trophy races for Optimist, Topper and Mixed helms. Winds were very light, low water and a flood tide kept the pace slow but three close races each were enjoyed. With a win each Alex Scott, in a cub Optimist collected the silverware on last race count back from a very close Oscar Taylor. At times in nil wind places exchanged frequently during the mornings two Topper races. James How in 'Blue' crept ahead to take the first race and Poppy Roll in 'Red Legend' keep her cool with Ellie Edwards always threatening, to collect race two honours. As the northerly breeze gathered pace after lunch, Ellie Edwards capitalised on her good start to forge ahead and take the win and the Mascall Trophy on equal points ahead of Poppy Roll and James How. Rowan Curtis in his Streaker 'Rude Boy' dominated the older mixed fleet helms taking three wins in style from Harry Shipley, three second places, and Katy Roll, three third place. Prizes were awarded by BASC Commodore Shirley Roll. Sunday is the Monosail Open followed by this years three day open regatta beginning on Monday.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Latest situation on fuel sees more queues despite continued assurances
- 2 County welcomes tankers but motorists continue to queue for fuel
- 3 Former DJ and worker at Norfolk school was a 'deviant sexual predator'
- 4 Jailed in Norfolk: Paedophiles and man caught with £15k of cannabis
- 5 Seaside restaurant hit with zero food hygiene rating
- 6 Flowers left by road in tribute after man's death
- 7 Roadworks to be aware of in Norfolk this week
- 8 'It's looking bleak' - City taxi firms respond to panic-buying at the pumps
- 9 Norfolk scams: Rogue gardeners and fake energy salespeople
- 10 More than 300 homes hit by power cut in mid Norfolk
Swing Bridge Race (23) – Bird of Prey (M Langston), Rude Boy (R Curtis), Jo's (K Edwards)
Sunday Junior Open:-
Junior Mascall Optimist Trophy (4) – O2 (A Scott), Blue Oppy (O Taylor)
Junior Mascall Topper Trophy (7) – Bubble (E Edwards), Red Legend (P Roll), Blue (J How)
Junior Mascall Mixed Trophy (5) – Rude Boy, King Murphy (H Shipley), Freebird (K Roll)