Youth soccer bonanza on Yarmouth beach
Yarmouth's Central Beach goes football crazy this weekend when the Soccer on the Sands Euro 2012 tournament kicks off.
Over 200 10-minute games will take place with under sevens and under 8s playing five-a-side and the older age groups playing six-a-side this weekend. The action begins at 10.30am on both days.
A draw has taken place with the 127 teams from all over Norfolk representing one of the 16 countries taking part in the European Championships which start with the Poland and Greece game this evening. 'Every year it's one of those unique events and all the teams really enjoy it.
'Where we do have something extra this year is that we are holding it at the same time as the European Championships so it really feels like it is almost part of it,' said Norfolk FA spokesman James Shelton.
It is the ninth consecutive year that the event, being staged in partnership with Great Yarmouth Borough Council, has been held in the town. It has been masterminded by County FA football development officer Craig Terrington.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Risk of flooding in parts of region as storms slowly move in
- 2 Man taken to hospital after cardiac arrest at beach
- 3 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 4 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival
- 5 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
- 6 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 7 City ready for Cantwell and Aarons end game
- 8 Norwich Bus Station building closed due to Covid ping
- 9 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 10 'Do your bit to slow spread' - plea as Covid hospital admissions remain low