Your chance to be the first to cross the Olympic Stadium finish line
Members of the public are to be handed the chance to be the first to cross the Olympic Stadium finish line ahead of London 2012.
The Olympic Park Run on March 31 will give 5,000 runners of all abilities the opportunity to take part in a five-mile run around the park in Stratford which will culminate in a dash to the line in the Olympic Stadium.
The process to enter, which opened on Friday, will be coordinated by the National Lottery. A spokesman said: 'This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to run on the track that the world's elite athletes will compete on, against a stunning backdrop of venues.'
Hopeful participants have four weeks to apply before online entries close on October 27 and places, allocated by ballot, will be confirmed by November 4.
The route will take place entirely within the Olympic Park and race entry, open to runners aged 16 and over, costs �15.
London 2012 chairman Lord Sebastian Coe said: 'I think it is fantastic for people to be able to say they were the first people to run officially on the track and to run around the Olympic Park.
'They will also be able to have their friends and family with them cheering them on in the stadium - that will be something happening for the first time. I think it is a lovely idea.'
- 1 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 2 Broads pub once visited by Chelsea players shuts for good
- 3 'Like touching grim reaper's nose': Teenager lucky to be alive after crash
- 4 Tributes to 'kind and caring' Norwich man with a love of chess and walking
- 5 Body found in woods near Mildenhall
- 6 Norfolk's oldest woman dies, aged 110
- 7 Fury at bikers' who rode over dead seal pup
- 8 Bid to build 70-bed care home and 24 affordable houses
- 9 Will it be another lockdown Christmas?
- 10 Fire crews called to house fire in north Norfolk
The only official test event in the Olympic Stadium will be the British Universities and Colleges Sport Championships in May.
Have you got an Olympics-related story? Call reporter Kate Scotter on 01603 772326 or email email@example.com