Young Stars fall behind in quest for cup
Buxton 58, Young Stars 35: King's Lynn's 'Young Stars' must claw back a 23-point deficit to clinch the National League KO Cup final after Sunday's first leg defeat at Buxton.
Buxton reserve Jason Garrity powered to a paid 20 haul to leave Dale Allitt's youngsters facing an uphill task in Wednesday's scheduled second leg return at the Norfolk Arena.
Darren Mallett (paid 15) carried the fight for the visitors who were hampered by Lewis Kerr's premature retirement after a heavy heat ten tumble.
The Hitmen struck an early psychological blow in the final with back to back maximums.
Allitt's side fell further behind when Simon Lambert drew a blank on a heat five tactical raid.
Mallett's heat ten success was the visitors' first flag of the contest before the club's Premier League ace landed a tactical in the penultimate when he inflicted Garrity's only defeat of the first leg.
Mallett and Allott were deployed in the nominated finale but Buxton's Robert Branford prevailed to put the Hitmen firmly in control ahead of the second leg.
- 1 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 2 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 3 Man dies of collapsed lung after 'busy' hospital meant x-ray was missed
- 4 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 5 WATCH: 'Unplayable' delivery from Suffolk bowler goes viral
- 6 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 7 'It is a cash cow' - vicar's warning after being slapped with parking fine
- 8 Norfolk garden centre wins 27th gold medal at Chelsea Flower Show
- 9 Rollesby mum shares heartbreak after death of her seven-year-old daughter
- 10 Neighbours shock at ‘unexplained’ sudden death of woman
• Buxton: Herne 10, Bethell 0, Branford 11+3, Allott 9, Dallaway 4+1, Garrity 19+1, Worrall 5+2.
• Young Stars: Lambert 7+1, Rayson 3+1, Kerr 1+1, Mallett 15, Lowe 4, McDade 3, Knight 2.