Young Norfolk players prove potential at regional tournament
- Credit: Submitted
Norfolk's Mini Red under-seven girls and boys travelled to Batchwood in Hertfordshire to play in a regional event, comprising of 10 counties.
The girls finished a commendable fourth and the boys also had some good results to finish fifth overall.
In their first match the girls drew with Cambridgeshire, Evie Williams winning from 6-1 down. The team then went on to beat Berkshire 5-1. Diana Chocis, whose twin sister Christina was also in the team, put in a particularly strong performance against Berkshire.
Ruby Sayer then came back from 5-1 down to win and Eleanor Thomkinson also won her first match in a 6-0 demolition of Suffolk.
Maicie Scarlett won the only rubber in a 5-1 reverse against eventual champions Hertfordshire. Having qualified for the semi-finals the girls then lost 6-0 to a very strong Essex team and in the third-placed decider against Berkshire, Christina Chocis won a very tight match to keep Norfolk in the match, before eventual defeat.
The boys lost 4-2 to Suffolk in the first match, losing two matches 10-9, followed by a draw against Bedfordshire which included the longest point of the day involving Norfolk's Ted Derisley.
In the third match the boys pulled off a terrific win against eventual runners-up Essex. Jayden Durham and Charlie Jones played exceptionally well. It then went down to counting points after the boys beat Northamptonshire 4-2.
- 1 Case of Omicron Covid variant confirmed in north Norfolk
- 2 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 3 Confusion as people in Norfolk mistakenly turn up for booster jab
- 4 Teenager admits stabbing three people in Norwich city centre
- 5 Norfolk college named best secondary school in the UK
- 6 Norfolk Labour website tells people not to vote for party
- 7 Norfolk hotel set to launch five romantic orchard cabins next year
- 8 Woman with scissors said she wanted to murder someone at supermarket
- 9 More than 80 Norfolk parishes protest against wind farm plans
- 10 6 ice rinks to visit in Norfolk and Suffolk this Christmas
Drawing with Buckinghamshire 3-3 in the play-offs, meant playing for fifth place against Bedfordshire. Stanley Birchall showed great character in this match, beating an opponent he had lost to earlier in the day and helping the team achieve fifth overall. A special mention to Charlie Bussell who only lost one match and Oscar Webster who won all his matches. The girls and boys points were added up to make Norfolk third overall.
Travelling coaches Ann Nicholls and Thoma Lavis were very proud of their teams' performances. With plenty more opportunities to compete coming up over the next few months, both teams should continue to improve and develop.
For more about Norfolk LTA's work, visit norfolktennis.co.uk.