Young Beccles Kingfishers step up to success in Dereham
A tough trip was made harder with the loss of half of the boys' team when Beccles Kingfishers ventured north to Dereham.
With six senior members missing, it meant opportunities for the younger ones to get experience and competitive swimming time.
Callum Thurston-Woolnough competed in the age group above – 14 and under – in three events and gained two new times, one in a gruelling 200m individual medley.
He was joined by Henry Barnes who also swam up a group and he too picked up two new times in his 200m medley and 100m breaststroke.
Boys' captain Tom Taylor competed in four events plus two relays. For the younger age groups Max Beevor took first in the 50m backstroke and his team-mate did likewise in the 10/u – Daniel Thurston-Woolnough brought home first in his 50m freestyle.
Ollie Woodcock rounded off the boys with a 100m butterfly best.
A change in order for the girls saw some take on strokes they don't normally compete in at this level – a challenge they took on. Rhianna James, normally a butterfly and breaststroke swimmer, swapped with team-mate Hannah Barnes. Rhianna picked up the first of the girls' PBs a new best in her 100m backstroke. Following on, Hannah went on to pick up a PB in her breaststroke.
- 1 PICTURES: The best-dressed punters at Fakenham Ladies Day
- 2 Driver caught hitting speeds of 119mph on A47
- 3 Homes destroyed after blaze breaks out in terraced housing
- 4 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 5 City burger joint takes beef off the menu
- 6 More cameras could be on way to fine law-breaking Norfolk motorists
- 7 Crash closes part of B1145 in west Norfolk
- 8 Investigation closed after cash stolen from popular attraction
- 9 Key worker couple celebrate 'fairy tale' day after winning £32,000 wedding
- 10 A Hunstanton institution closes after almost 50 years
For the open girls, Steph Bird equalled her best in 100m freestyle and team-mate Eleanor Chick produced a PB in her 200 medley.
For the younger girls, Grace Madsen gained bests in her 50m backstroke and breaststroke for the 10/u group, followed up with good swims from Lauren Rogers, Sophie Thurtell and Phoebe Chick.
Standings: 1 Dereham A 216 points, 2 West Norfolk 185, 3 Norwich Swans 181, 4 Dereham B 142, 5 Beccles 104, 6 North Norfolk SC 79.