Yaxley 0 Dereham Town 1: Danny Beaumont helps Magpies continue their superb start to season
- Credit: Ian Burt
Dereham progressed to the next round of the FA Cup thanks to a fine display at the In2ative Stadium.
In the opening minute Jake Anema headed on to Ashley Jarvis who progressed into the box and forced defender John Duncliffe to concede a corner.
As they pressed again Jay Eastoe-Smith sent Rhys Logan through on the right and his low drive was saved by home keeper Ollie Sutton.
As their positive start continued Ashley Jarvis hit a blistering 25 yarder that flew over the top.
However, Yaxley missed a good chance minutes later when Matt Sparrow's diagonal drive beat Elliot Pride but sailed past the far post when the midfielder broke free in the box.
You may also want to watch:
The home side won a free kick 25 yards out but Josh Pike fired wide.
Dereham came close following a flowing move in the 36th minute. Garner's ball from the right was firmly headed goalward by Anema with Sutton forced to save.
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 3 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 4 Sneak peek inside first £2.7m luxury mansion for sale
- 5 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 6 Plot of gold? Land up for sale for £750,000
- 7 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 8 Fly-tippers dumped dead relative's rubbish – just half a mile from recycling centre
- 9 Neighbours' shock as man's body found in flat weeks after he died
- 10 Woman in 30s suffers head injuries in violent attack by two girls
After an even start to the second period Dereham made the breakthrough in the 50th minute. Logan made a strong run down the flank and cut inside before dissecting the home defence with a precise pass allowing Danny Beaumont to net from close range.
The Peterborough side gained a free kick 25 yards out but defender Steve Taylor charged Liam Hook's effort down.
Dereham's Logan nearly unlocked the home defence again with his low cross racing along the six-yard line waiting to be finished.
Substitute Ryan Crisp fired a free kick into Sutton's arms as the Magpies looked to seal the game.
However, the home side pressed for the equaliser and this nearly came when substitute Rob Hughes's superb low drive cannoned back off Pride's post in the 86th minute.
Yaxley: Sutton, Duncliffe, Pike, Nolan (Hughes 68), Wall, Norris, Sparrow, Hook, Watson (Haime 68), Saunders, Butterworth (Hill-Seekings 81). Subs not used: Cotton, Furnell.
Dereham: Pride, Garner (Murphy 73), Taylor, Linford (Crisp 73), Eastoe-Smith, Ebbage (Castellan 60), Logan, Hinton, Jarvis, Anema, Beaumont. Subs not used: Kindred, Dodden, Bean.
Referee: J Aldous