Wymondham youngsters enjoy their big day out at home of Northampton Saints
- Credit: Archant
Youngsters from Wymondham RFC played a part in creating history as they participated in the Land Rover Premiership Rugby Cup, hosted by Northampton Saints.
Wymondham were one of more than 20 Under-11 teams in attendance, and even got the chance to strut their stuff in front of a host of Saints players, including James Craig and Rory Hutchinson.
And while they missed out on the chance to attend next May's Aviva Premiership Rugby Final, despite their displaying plenty of skill and effort, 10-year-old Harley Lovett insisted he had loved every minute of the experience.
'It's been really good playing in the Land Rover Premiership Cup,' said the Cringleford Primary School pupil. 'The best thing about the tournament has been getting stuck into the matches. 'I'm a big Northampton Saints fan and it's been really special to play on the pitches at Franklin Gardens.'
Teams from across the county will compete at various festivals hosted by the 12 Aviva Premiership Rugby clubs this season, with the opportunity to earn a trip to the Aviva Premiership Rugby Final on May 26, where they will meet a Land Rover rugby ambassador, join in a Land Rover Premiership Rugby Cup Parade at half-time and hear which of them has won a club MVP award.
You may also want to watch:
Wymondham did at least get the chance to rub shoulders with rugby's elite, and Saints player Craig admitted he had been impressed with what he had seen.
'I actually didn't play rugby when I was this young – I didn't start playing until I was 13, so coming down and watching the Land Rover Premiership Cup is a new and interesting experience for me,' he said.
- 1 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 2 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 3 Fired twice in two months: Events boss feels the pain of Covid
- 4 Norfolk bowls star tests positive at world indoor championships
- 5 Revealed: The areas where Covid cases are still increasing
- 6 Man admits defrauding more than £1.3m from Norfolk firm
- 7 Covid rates continue to fall across Norfolk, especially in Norwich
- 8 Man's neck broken after being hit by 800kg load which fell off forklift
- 9 A47 closed in both directions after crash
- 10 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
'I think it's important to have these sort of competitions. It's a great way for the lads to engage with young people and giving them a chance to play on our pitches before watching their idols.
'It's been great watching some of the action and I'm sure it'll be a day they'll remember for a long time.'
Land Rover is celebrating its 'Testimonial Season'; 10 years of the Land Rover Premiership Rugby Cup. The national series of grassroots rugby festivals is testament to Land Rover's continued support of grassroots rugby through its 'We Deal In Real' campaign. Follow @LandRoverRugby #WeDealInReal