Wymondham trio win Potters Cup
- Credit: Archant
Another action packed Potters Cup weekend at Hopton-on-Sea saw Wymondham's Debbie Barrett, Jack Barrett and Chris Mann lift the main prize after beating Suffolk triple Terry Cook, Doreen Cook and Derek Barley of Carlton SMBC in the final played in the International Arena.
Peter Smart (Sprowston), Pauline and Alan McCallum (Morton Glebe) beat Barbara and Colin Hadler (Whitstable) and Terry Smith (Fen Drayton) on an extra end in the Potters Shield Final.
In the Potters Cup final the Wymondham triple found their rhythm quickly and, despite a great battle between lead bowlers Terry Cook and Debbie Barrett, raced to an 8-1 lead by the end of the fifth end.
Barley's triple hit back with a vengeance on the next end with a four shots to cut the deficit to 8-5. But the recovery was short-lived as Mann's triple immediately hit back with a four shotof their own and romped away to win 16-7.
In the semi-finals Mann's triple recovered from 4-1 down to beat North Yorkshire's Sheila Loraine, Michael Ridge and David Loraine 8-4 and Barley's triple beat Wymondham's Hayley Stratton, Mikey George and Andrew Stratton 10-6.
Terry Smith levelled the scores at 9-9 with a single on the last scheduled end of a superb Potters Shield Final, but Alan MaCallum's triple took two shots on the extra end to win 11-9.
In the semi-finals MaCallum's triple had beaten David Varvel, Shirley Brown and Joe Brown (Costessey) 10-6 while Smith's triple had won 14-4 against Joan Costello, Maureen Dease and Ken Dease (Anglian Windows).
- 1 Case of Omicron Covid variant confirmed in north Norfolk
- 2 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 3 Norfolk college named best secondary school in the UK
- 4 Shocking footage appears to show £100m Marham jet crashing off carrier
- 5 Man charged with drink driving after crash at police station
- 6 Woman with scissors said she wanted to murder someone at supermarket
- 7 Confusion as people in Norfolk mistakenly turn up for booster jab
- 8 ‘This was our worst nightmare’: Locals shock after man dies in crash
- 9 Waste carrier fined £1,900 after metal and containers found in woodland
- 10 NCFC LIVE: Missed chance for City against 10-man Newcastle
Bernard Cudden and Paul Baker (Hempnall) produced six straight wins to take first place in the Potters Cash Pairs event, finishing with 12 points and +30 shots.
Runners up were Kerry Greenacre & Gerald Chilvers (Kirby Bedon) with 11 points and +17 while Joan Cann (Hempnall) and Arthur Jackson (North Yorks) were third and Paula and Alan MaCullum fourth.
The Presentation Ceremony was conducted by Potters entertainers Richard Beare and Mark Brewer while Kenny Lynch topped the bill in the Atlas Theatre afterwards.
Potters have confirmed that next year's Potters Cup will be from Friday, August 29 to Monday, September 1. Details of the event can be obtained by calling Teresa Goldsmith on 01603 403628.