Wymondham rugby trio snapped up by top professional clubs
- Credit: Wymondham RFC
A Norfolk rugby club is celebrating after three products of their youth system are set to join some of the biggest teams in the country.
Jake Garside, Will Hobson and Billy Evans were teammates in Wymondham Rugby Club's Spartans squad, winning minis and youth trophies across the region.
Six years later, and now aged 18, all three are off to professional clubs with Garside joining Northampton Saints and Hobson off to Harlequins, both in the Premiership.
And Evans will be joining the academy at top Championship side Ealing Trailfinders in the suburb of London.
Neil Davies, under 18s coach at Wymondham, said: "It’s just a brilliant achievement for all three and reflects not just their talent but all the work they’ve put into the game. We couldn’t be more proud of them."
Garside, who plays as a scrum-half, stayed with the Norfolk club until he was signed by Saints' junior academy. He returned to help coach Wymondham's under 8s side this month.
He said: "Billy and Will have always been big lads and as one of the smallest in the squad it wasn’t much fun being tackled by them - which is probably why I put a lot of effort into learning to run round them."
You may also want to watch:
Hobson left Wymondham when he went to boarding school, while Evans still plays for the club's Colts.
Saints’ coach Will Parkin said: “Jake’s athleticism – specifically his speed – is seriously impressive, so hopefully he can continue to develop in that area. He is a skilful No.9 too, with his delivery and variety of kicking really standing out.
- 1 The rise and fall of a beloved Norfolk wildlife park
- 2 Woman's life 'left in pieces' after being raped while unconscious
- 3 'One of life's gentlemen' - Neighbours describe killer's double life
- 4 'I was in tears': Dentist can keep working despite failing 13 patients
- 5 Man in 50s dies after crash between car and bicycle
- 6 Norfolk seaside village third most sought-after in UK
- 7 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 8 Part of A47 reopens after earlier accident
- 9 Builder opens shepherd huts on site with unusual feature
- 10 Make it modern: Norfolk rectory goes up for sale after renovation
“I’m excited to see how good he can be within a full-time environment.”
Both Garside and Hobson are part of England's under 18 training set-up and will join three other Wymondham graduates in the Premiership, with Will Evans at Harlequins, Tommy Freeman at Saints and Ollie Ashworth at Leicester Tigers.
They have both signed professional contracts with their new clubs and are in the respective senior academies.
Norfolk has a history of producing elite rugby players, most notably former North Walsham and Holt Rugby Club brothers Ben and Tom Youngs.