Wymondham rue missed chances

STALHAM TOWN 2, WYMONDHAM TOWN 2: A draw was possibly a fair result but if Wymondham had taken their chances this could have been a precious three points.

Town would like to wish the Stalham player a speedy recovery. He was taken away by the air ambulance.

Wymondham travelled to face Stalham with one change from the week before, with the injured Rackham making way for O'Brien.

The Rooks started well and Cracknell forced a good save from the home keeper.

Against the run of play, Town conceded. Page battled well to deny the striker but as he crossed the Stalham player was unmarked at the far post.

You may also want to watch:

Hodges came out and blocked well but the rebound fell kindly to the Stalham player who tapped home.

Town responded and drew level through McCloy's first goal of the season.

Most Read

He chased down a hopeful through- ball and beat the keeper to it. He then showed great composure to beat the men on the line.

Things got even better for Town when, following a scramble from a Priest corner, Ramsbottom rose to head home.

Before half-time Town had a golden opportunity to go 3-1 up when McCloy showed great skill and quick feet to beat a number of home defenders.

When faced with the goal he just cleared the bar.

In the second half Stalham pumped long ball upon long ball into the Town box.

Ethridge and Seaman underlined their recent performances with a number of telling blocks.

Town did have some good chances, most notably when O'Brien burst through but failed to get a clean strike on goal with Ramsbottom well placed, a scenario which was later reversed.

With just seven minutes to go Stalham scored the equaliser. From a high ball into the box the Stalham player rose to head home from seven yards. Town tried to respond when Butler burst through but his low cross came to nothing.

Meanwhile, Wymondham Town Reserves this week were at home in cup action against Anglian Windows looking to build on the previous week's victory and also to avenge the league defeat from the same opposition two weeks earlier.

Town started off on the front foot and were almost rewarded with an early Stone effort.

Moments later Town took a 10th minute lead when Stone was released down the right hand side. He cut the ball back to Mantle whose shot from just inside the box was blocked but fell kindly for Godbold to stab home.

Town then weathered a 15-minute spell and on a break away went close to adding to their lead when Stannard was set free only for the keeper to save well. Half-time 1-0.

The second half started with an early substitution with Gray replacing Godbold.

Town applied pressure and worked hard chasing and closing down, forcing a mistake with the ball falling to Morris who struck his effort straight at the keeper.

Ducker was pretty much a spectator in Town's goal but made an excellent save when faced with a one on one.

He then saved well again from the resulting corner after a goalmouth scramble ended with a well-struck, low effort.

Town thought they had doubled their lead when Plumstead forced the ball home from a corner only for the referee to rule it out for an apparent hand-ball.

Stone, who put in another great performance, was almost rewarded for his hard work but was denied again by the keeper. Town held out to the final whistle and ran out victors, final score 1-0.

Man of the match was Mantle for a tireless performance in the middle of the park.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter