Wymondham complete clean sweep in Norfolk Youth Cup competitions
- Credit: Archant
The future is looking bright at Wymondham Rugby Club judging by the results in the finals of this season's Norfolk Youth Cup competitions.
The Red and Blacks showed their strength in depth at the weekend by reeling off an impressive clean sweep of victories from under-13 to under-16 level.
Four finals produced four comprehensive Wymondham wins, with the margins of victory ranging from 24 points to 55.
The Under-13s beat West Norfolk 57-5, the under-14s Holt 55-0, the under-15s West Norfolk 32-0 and the Under-16s Holt 36-12 in competitions sponsored by Broadland Business Park.
Jerry Stone, Norfolk RFU president, congratulated Wymondham Rugby Club on their achievement, saying: 'Last year, it was Diss who took much of the silverware, but this season Wymondham have achieved an exceptional set of results with wins in every age group, which is almost unprecedented. Congratulations to them and to their opponents.
You may also want to watch:
'The Broadland Business Park Norfolk Youth Rugby Cup is hotly contested every year and involves all of Norfolk's youth rugby teams in age groups Under 13 to Under 16. It's a great competition that embodies the spirit of rugby and is enjoyed by players, parents and supporters alike.
'I look forward to next year's competition with relish and hope that our great clubs in Norfolk will continue to produce such fine rugby players.
- 1 Stunning images capture Cromer in the snow
- 2 Fire tears through historic Thorpe pub
- 3 Four national high street names to move into former M&S store
- 4 Norfolk's first mass Covid vaccination centre to open in food court
- 5 Builder took pink pill and ran naked around hotel
- 6 Mass coronavirus vaccination centre opens in Norwich today
- 7 Floral tributes left to driver killed in A148 crash
- 8 Vaccines roll-out to move on to over 70s
- 9 Driver escapes serious injury after 4x4 flips onto roof
- 10 Store open despite positive Covid test at town centre Sainsbury's
Adam Smith, director of Lothbury Investment Management, owners of sponsors, Broadland Business Park, added: 'What a great set of results for Wymondham. Many congratulations to them for a great achievement. It means there'll be all to play for next year. Youth rugby is in a healthy state in Norfolk and we are delighted to be able to support its development through the Norfolk RFU.'
In the plate competition final, West Norfolk Under 14s beat Diss Under 14s, while North Walsham Under 15s beat their Holt counterparts.
North Walsham will be the venue this Sunday for the remaining two plate finals when their Under 16s entertain West Norfolk and their Under 13s host Holt.