Wymondham beat neighbours Crusaders to maintain promising start
- Credit: Archant
Wymondham made it two wins out of two in the new London Three Eastern Counties League after seeing off near neighbours Crusaders at Tuttles Lane.
With a pre-match lunch taking place there was a good sized crowd for the derby game which saw all 17 points scored in the second half.
Both sides had periods of possession in a tight opening period. For Wymondham there were good line breaks by Josh Wright, David Blake and Lee Bartlett but determined defence kept them out.
With conditions becoming ever more difficult, Charlie Duffin did well to control the ball and command a strong home defence.
Crusaders put out a strong lineout, with Liam Browning of the Red and Blacks effortlessly returning the ball to the home side.
You may also want to watch:
With the scores level at half-time bragging rights were firmly up for grabs and 10 minutes into the second hald good link play and strong rucking from the forwards saw a turnover on the opposition's five metre line. Quick ball out to the right wing released Josh Cousins to touch down and put the hists 5-0 ahead,
With the battle finally warming up, less than 10 minutes later strong Wymondham defence saw Crusaders force an error on their 22 for Shaun Rix to capitalise and touch down over.
- 1 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 2 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 3 Poultry company owner says food industry is at 'crisis point'
- 4 Man suffers injuries after road rage assault near retail park
- 5 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 6 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 7 Town's long wait for new £37m bypass nearly over as funding agreed
- 8 St Benedict's Street restaurant closes due to 'pingdemic'
- 9 Thunderstorms set to put dampener on weekend
- 10 Family's tribute to much loved motorcyclist, 21, involved in A10 crash
With the game reverting back to its original set-up of end to end rugby, Crusaders' strong scrum and pick and goes were stopped short at the right moments.
With 10 minutes remaining, the strong Wymondham forwards created good ball off a driving maul for the backs and new club member Darren Wilson went over to complete the scoring.
Thetford have also started the season strongly, picking up a maximum 10 points from their opening two fixtures while Wymondham have nine.
They followed up a hard-fought opening day win at West Norfolk by cruising to a 62-5 success at Newmarket, the side Wymondham beat on the opening day. Wisbech suffered their second succesive defeat, going down 25-7 at home to near neigbours Ely while Stowmarket won 20-8 at Woodbridge to make it two wins out of two.