Wymondham 33 Beccles 0
Wymondham got their season up and running on Saturday with an emphatic victory against a battling Beccles side.
The home pack began to take control at the scrum with Chris Miller, Neumi Rokodinono and the young Billy Duffin solid in the front row which allowed Charlie Duffin at nine to feed his kickers, Tom Wilson and Maxime Jacquet, to put in good clearance kicks.
From a good take at a line-out by Andy Mackay, Charlie Duffin and John Payne set up the forwards to pressure the Beccles defensive line. Charges by Dave Blake, Matt Ambrose, Matt Brighton and Josh Wright were stopped just short of the line and from a scrum Josh Wright picked up and drove over for an unconverted try wide out.
Good runs by Wilson, Jacquet, Nick Ferns, David Martin and Ashley Harrop kept up the pressure, causing Beccles to infringe, and Wilson kicked two penalties to push our lead out to 11-0.
Beccles took the game to Wymondham, and came close to reducing the arrears before Wilson kicked a penalty to make it 14-0, with the visitors unluckly to have nothing to show for their efforts.
You may also want to watch:
Wymondham started the second half and the game was still a struggle with Beccles defending well with 14 men, until, from a scrum in the Beccles half, Duffin fed Payne who had Martin coming off his wing and running great lines to go clear through the defence and score a converted try under the posts.
The match continued to be played as a tremendous contest and the coaches went to the bench for Stuart Forden to come on in the front row to allow Chris Miller to drop back into second row where Matt Ambrose could be replaced as he had given everything for the cause. With about 12 minutes to go great pressure from scrum ball by Wymondham saw the ball pass smoothly down the backs for Onisimo Sigakalele to score in the corner for Wymondham's third try.
- 1 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 2 Fired twice in two months: Events boss feels the pain of Covid
- 3 Revealed: The areas where Covid cases are still increasing
- 4 Norfolk bowls star tests positive at world indoor championships
- 5 Man admits defrauding more than £1.3m from Norfolk firm
- 6 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 7 'A lot of tears' as care home announces closure with 30 jobs lost
- 8 Warnings for snow and ice in place across region
- 9 Shocking CCTV shows carer abusing woman with dementia
- 10 Man's neck broken after being hit by 800kg load which fell off forklift
With five minutes to go a good run by Harrop saw him put into touch just shy of the try line for an important bonus point try as Beccles strove to prevent this from happening. But with the last play of the match excellent work by Sigakalele and Jacquet and a break by Duffin saw him feed Harrop to show a clean pair of heels to the defence and score a try which Wilson converted.
Beccles made the home side battle for everything and Wymondham had to work very hard to get the victory.