Wymondham 29, Ely 12
Wymondham went marching on at the top of the Greene King Eastern Counties League as they beat Ely to avenge their previous defeat way back in September.
Ely started brightly and scored the game's first try but Wymondham were soon in command and two penalty attempts were missed before Steve Simms went for the corner. The line-out ball was cleanly taken by Andy Mackay and he charged through for a try in the corner which was unconverted but levelled the scores at 5-5.
Ely were beginning to be pinned back by Wymondham and this pressure told when a great break by Onisimo Sagakalele allowed Alex Brugger to score in his characteristic fashion in the corner. This try was brilliantly converted by Simms to make the score 12-5.
Wymondham were now moving up through the gears and taking control. A good touch find by Simms saw a clean take by Josh Wright and the backs again released until, after a scintillating break by Brugger, Simms scored out wide which was unconverted.
After the restart Ely, who had been warned by the referee about their indiscipline, were reduced to 14 for 10 minutes with a sin binning. From a line-out on Ely's 22 the ball was worked well by the excellent Josh Mickleburgh to Harry Anderson-Brown who released the backs and that let Dave Martin score a good bonus point try in the corner after a great burst through the centre by Tom Wilson. This was converted and was the final score of the half, which ended 24-5.
You may also want to watch:
The second half saw Ely back up to 15 but then Wymondham had a man sin binned and were down to 14. Ely immediately started to try to use their extra forward advantage and although Wymondham's defence held well the referee awarded a penalty try which was converted.
Wymondham came back to 15 and scored the game's final try when Anderson-Brown broke away to feed Martin who scored in the corner.
- 1 More storms ahead as flood warnings remain in place
- 2 Body found at Mousehold Heath there for 'considerable amount of time'
- 3 Family demands answers after 91-year-old dies weighing four stone
- 4 Inquest hears sister of Hannah Witheridge died while pregnant
- 5 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000
- 6 'They're blaming me' - Social housing tenant angry over state of flat
- 7 Cannabis stash worth about £2000 found hidden in home
- 8 'Lost a couple of staff members a day' - how the 'pingdemic' is hitting Norfolk
- 9 Hunt for man in connection with drug dealing
- 10 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected