Wymondham 16, Wanstead 26
This frustrating home defeat provided a good lesson to Wymondham.
It is not just a case of turning up – teams have to concentrate and see what is happening to get wins at this level. Wanstead left with a victory but after even performing way below their ability Wymondham still managed to win the second half and this shows what could have been achieved.
The first attacks were by Wymondham which resulted in a penalty converted by Tom Wilson. Sadly, bad decision making, inept tackling and woeful handling were then to become the order of the day. After 25 minutes Wanstead scored their first try with very little defence getting in the way and this was converted. Another penalty by Wilson brought it back to 6-7 but the visitors soon converted one of their own and then scored a try far too easily, which went unconverted, to make it 6-15. A further penalty pushed it to 6-18 at half-time.
A rare good passing move saw Ashley Harrop go over out wide for an unconverted try to close the gap.
Pressure was applied but never looked likely to be converted into many points. A penalty was missed and then to add insult to the self inflicted wounds Wanstead went down the pitch and were rewarded with a drop goal. 21-11.
You may also want to watch:
Eventually the hosts put pressure back on and Josh Wright scored a try which saw the conversion bounce back off the bar to close it again to 21-16, and, despite the comedy of errors which had been the home side's afternoon, looked like it was going to earn a losing bonus point.
This was not to be the case however as Wanstead took advantage of more chaos in the Wymondham defence to score another unconverted try and bring the final score to 26-16.
- 1 Man dies after medical emergency on beach
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of drink and drug driving after fatal crash
- 3 'Glagoon' returns to Norfolk beach and locals are loving it
- 4 Gilmour advised to quit City for Rangers loan return
- 5 Appeal to identify man, around 75, who died in medical episode
- 6 Jets heard roaring over Norwich for training exercise
- 7 Family pays tribute to man killed after collision with double-decker bus
- 8 ATM containing thousands of pounds stolen from petrol station
- 9 Norwich mum and daughter duo shed 12st
- 10 Father and son admit handling stolen power tools