Formidable pair take honours once again at Wymondham 10k
- Credit: Archant
The traditional Wymondham New Year's Day 10K was again very well attended with 635 runners completing the course.
The race always attracts a good mix of local runners and those who have come from further afield.
This year the winners came all the way from New Mexico as Ben Fletcher and girlfriend, Ruth Senior, over to visit family, took the overall honours. It is the second time they have performed this feat, following up their double success in 2013.
Fletcher came home in first place in 31:59 - a minute ahead of his nearest rival (and girlfriend's brother), James Senior of City of Norwich AC in 32:59. George Gay was third overall on 33:41.
Ruth Senior was first female in an impressive time of 38:17 with Charlotte Neal of North Norfolk Beach Runners the runner-up in 40:11. Rowenna Leary of Norfolk Gazelles was third female in 41:40.
You may also want to watch:
Matt Pyatt (Ryston Runners) was first male in the 40-44 category in a time of 34:32 with Gary Crush (City of Norwich AC) just behind in 34:50. Neil Adams of North Norfolk Beach Runners was third in 35:56.
Penny Studley (Great Yarmouth Road Runners) was first female in the 40-44 category in 44:30 with Rachel Miller (Norwich Road Runners) second in 44:31. Stacey Harper was third in the category in 44:44.
- 1 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 2 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 3 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 4 Sneak peek inside first £2.7m luxury mansion for sale
- 5 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 6 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 7 Woman in 30s suffers head injuries in violent attack by two girls
- 8 Plot of gold? Land up for sale for £750,000
- 9 Neighbours' shock as man's body found in flat weeks after he died
- 10 Man airlifted to hospital from beach given 'vital first aid' by lifeguards
In the men's 45-49 category Tim Topper (Wymondham AC) was first in 36:26 whilst Jonathan Cordle (Tri Anglia Triathlon Club) topped the 50-54 men's category in 39:42. John Moore (Norfolk Gazelles AC), in 55-59 category, was first in 37:38 whilst Glen Nelson (Bure Valley Harriers) led the 60-64 category in 41:58. Sam Weller, in the 65+ section, was first in 47:14.
Sabina Spence (Bure Valley Harriers) was first female in the 45-49 category in 42:25 whilst in the 50-54 bracket Sandra Roberts took the honours in 44:28. In the 55-59 section Anna Coulborn took first in 51:10 with Penny Edwards first female in 60-64 thanks to a time of 45:59. Diane Pamplin was first female in the 65+ section in 51:58.
The race is hosted by Wymondham AC, involving over 60 members volunteering their time on New Year's Day morning.
2018 is the club's 40th anniversary and the race was a special occasion for one of their founder members, Eva Osborne.
She was the oldest runner in the race, at 77, and this was her 1,000th running race in a distinguished and varied career.
She was one of the few lady runners in the first ever London Marathon in 1981, and holds many local parkrun records.
Andrew Lane, race director, said: 'We are very pleased with the turnout. I would like to thank all our Wymondham club members who helped to make it such a success.'