Wroxham woe as they exit FA Vase

Last season's FA Vase finalists Wroxham were knocked out of the competition at the third-round stage on Saturday.

A goal in the 118th minute from Dan Moyes provided the winner for UCL Premier Division side St Ives.

The Yachtsmen were playing their first game since the 2-2 draw against Brantham on November 20 and looked a bit stale early on.

The visitors looked quite lively with Liam Reed and Dan Matson combining.

Wroxham's first attack came from good work by Paul Cook who turned the ball for Ross Durrant to shoot narrowly wide.

Wroxham made a tactical change on 20 minutes with Claudio Langlois and Owen Paynter switching wings as the Frenchman found no joy against Morgan Phillips.

Matsom was causing problems for the home defence with his all-action display, causing Wroxham skipper Graham Challen to make some last- ditch challenges.

Most Read

Wroxham's Shaun Howes picked out Ross Durrant whose cross found Owen Paynter but his header went just too high.

Wroxham thought they had a case for a penalty when Durrant was brought down but the Wroxham man was flagged for being offside.

Wroxham played with more conviction after the break with a flurry of corners as they started to get on top and were unlucky not to take the lead when Gary Gilmore's 25-yard shot crashed against the bar.

Matt Daniels and Gary Gilmore combined for Gilmore to get in a shot which brought a smart save from Nial Conroy-Owen in the Ives goal.

St Ives' next attack brought mayhem in the home penalty area as Danny Self was robbed of the ball and Liam Read hit the base of a post.

From the rebound a cross found Liam Kennett whose first-time half-volley was brilliantly tipped over by Scott Howie.

With both teams going for the winner play became stretched.

Owen Paynter was replaced by Colin Wines as Wroxham piled on the pressure but the St Ives defence was coping until the 88th minute when in a goalmouth scramble the home side thought they had taken the lead as the ball appeared to cross the line – but the officials waved play on.

Then Ross Durrant had the chance to make himself a hero but, with the goal at his mercy, his shot went agonisingly over.

With the game about to go into extra time St Ives took off Matson and replaced him with Scott Fielding who was soon in the action.

With both teams going for a winner it required some strong defending although St Ives were almost rewarded with a shot that hit the bar.

The visitors were forced into a final change with centre-back Michael Wood being caught by a challenge and he was replaced by Ben Elkins.

In the second period of extra time, as a replay seemed to be looming, the visitors scored the winner.

In the 118th minute the ball was played into the Wroxham area and laid off to Dan Moyes whose shot found the corner of the net.

Wroxham now have to put this disappointment behind them and focus on their Senior Cup tie against Cromer on Tuesday night (7.45pm).

King's Lynn Town's FA Vase match against Great Beckenham Town at the weekend was postponed and has been rescheduled for this coming Saturday (3pm).

Leiston are the sole Ridgeons League survivors in the Vase following an impressive 3-1 victory over Hythe Town with goals from Angelo Harrop, Michael Brothers and Danny Cunningham.

Stanway Rovers lost 1-0 at home to Stanstead.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter