Wroxham lack usual threat in defeat at Thurrock
Wroxham's recent run of good results came to an abrupt end as they fell to a humbling defeat at Thurrock.
In truth, the Yachtsmen never really got to grips with the game, with an unusual lack of potency in the final third – not helped by the bobbly surface – married with the hosts' clinical finishing.
Wroxham were without defensive duo Andy Howell and Matt Halliday, with Jordan King and Ben Price taking their places in the starting line-up and Danny White taking over the captain's armband.
The game started in a cagey manner, with neither side willing to give their opponents any kind of chance to get a foothold.
Elliot Pride saved well from a Simon King header on five minutes, with Christy Finch testing Andy Walker with a snapshot that the Fleet 'keeper saved well down to his right.
You may also want to watch:
Remy Gordon then forced Walker into another smart save with his chest after some slick interplay between Steve Taylor, David Hinton and Jamie Forshaw, before Thurrock moved up through the gears up the final moments of the half to eventually take the lead from the spot through Loui Hazelwood.
Wroxham came out of the traps flying at the start of the second half, Gordon finding the back of the net 45 seconds in, only for the assistant to raise his flag for an earlier offside.
- 1 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 2 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 3 Chicken restaurant closes 'due to unforeseen circumstances'
- 4 Hospital confirms two patients have died from Covid
- 5 New beauty salon and massage rooms open at country club
- 6 More than 70 speeding drivers snared in police day of action
- 7 'Like an invasion' - locals speak out over five-day festival
- 8 Band and singer pull out of Latitude Festival due to positive Covid tests
- 9 What are the top 10 new shops opening in Norwich?
- 10 'Cold and desolate' - Anne Robinson's Countdown jibe at Norfolk
But Thurrock sealed the win with two goals in the final five minutes and Stewart Larter's men will have to dust themselves off quickly as they prepare to host AFC Sudbury tomorrow.
Thurrock: Walker, Hazelwood, Waters, Gilman, King, Demontagnac (Farrell 72), Clark, Goode, Thompson (Onyemah 60), Wall, Stewart. Unused subs: Warren, Osonowo, Reynolds.
Wroxham: Pride, Taylor, Rust, Hinton, Price, King, Garrod (Stone 61), White, Forshaw (Attree 81), Finch, Gordon. Unused sub: Lewis.