Wroxham gear up for Ridgeons title push
Wroxham chief David Batch believes the Yachtsmen are in good shape to mount a Ridgeons Premier Division title challenge ahead of today's friendly at King's Lynn. (3pm)
Batch's side finished third last season behind Dereham and champions Leiston but the Wroxham chief has brought new blood into the club. Frontman Danny Bloomfield moved to Needham Market earlier this week, but young striking talent Jordan Rocastle has joined along with wide player David Hinton and keeper Michael Hilton.
'We're always looking to get better,' he said. 'The squad is in a lot better shape than this time next year. We have a lot more pace, a lot more flexibility. It's still early days. If you said to me, 'lose every pre-season game from here and win your first ten league games,' I'd take it now.
'Jordan came along for a trial. There was other clubs interested but we said come and have a look at us. He was impressed with how we do things and to be honest I was quite impressed with him, because he gives us something we perhaps didn't have which was absolute raw pace. He can turn nothing into something. He's direct, he's only 19 and he can get better.
'Michael Hilton did well for Yarmouth last year. We know Scotty (Howie) is not going to play for ever and I've always been honest with him and said at some point we will bring in someone who can push him for that spot in the team. Scotty is the ultimate professional so he will be there and do whatever he can. He has a fantastic attitude.'
You may also want to watch:
Howie will play against his former club this afternoon after Hilton faced a rampant Norwich City XI in midweek who won 6-0 at Trafford Park.
'We have been beating teams five and six in pre-season so weirdly I think the players came back in and said they enjoyed that probably more,' said Batch. 'The whole point of pre-season is to have a work out and Norwich certainly gave us one. I was able to learn quite a bit about certain players. I saw players' games and how they react in situations.'
- 1 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 2 9 of Norfolk's most famous blue plaques
- 3 Drink driver arrested after crashing into two trees in Norwich
- 4 Covid rates continue to fall across Norfolk, especially in Norwich
- 5 Jack-knifed lorry shuts A148 as police issue ice warning
- 6 Centre takes action after IT failure causes long queues for Covid jab
- 7 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 8 Out on the beat - we join police Covid patrol on the seafront
- 9 Map reveals the most serious crashes on the NDR since it fully opened
- 10 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region