Wroxham close gap on Magpies

Premier Division pace-setters Dereham Town had to overcome two costly errors by keeper Shaun Marshall and the half-time sending off of manager Matt Henman to draw their home game with Walsham-le-Willows 2-2. With Wroxham winning, the gap between the sides is cut to five points.

The Magpies were causing their visitors problems down the right until after 10 minutes Marshall attempted to shepherd the ball out of play near the by-line. Steve Holder nipped in to gain possession and had the simple task of tapping into an empty net.

Then on 15 minutes, Marshall tripped when setting himself to save Gavin Johnson's 20-yard drive and the ball found the top corner of the net. Manager Henman was ordered off after an altercation with the referee at half-time.

Second half, apart from efforts by Scott Roberts and Danny Beaumont, Dereham posed little threat to the Walsham goal. Then in the 70th minute Ryan Foster clipped a post from 25 yards and two minutes later a Roberts shot was handled for a penalty which was converted by Beaumont.

Four minutes later the Magpies were level when Sam Willis hammered home a drive from 22 yards. Dereham piled on the pressure, but could not improve their goals tally.

Wroxham beat Mildenhall 3-2 at Trafford Park thanks to two goals in the last five minutes. They took the lead after seven minutes when Danny Boswell's shot from the edge of the area was palmed down by keeper Josh Pope into the path of Ross Durrant, who tucked the chance away.

Mildenhall pressure led to a 33rd minute goal from Michael Harvey with a clever lob. On 50 minutes a cross was buried by John Sands to give Mildenhall the lead.

Most Read

With Wroxham desperate to get something from the game, they were awarded an 85th minute penalty for a foul on Durrant, Owen Paynter converting the spot-kick for 2-2.

In a long period of time added on, Wroxham got the winner, Alain Bruel's corner headed on by Josh Carus for Damian Hilton to head home.

Norwich United recorded their first league victory sionce September 11, winning by the odd goal in seven at Brantham. Having led since the fifth minute, the Planters breathed a sigh of relief as Simon Mann's chip in time added on went inches over Ben Nower's bar.

Andrew Claydon gave United an early lead, poking home Lee Hunter's cross from the right. In the 12th minute Ross King's curling shot came back off the foot of a post for George Wilson to reacted the quickest and score from close range.

Brantham reduced the arrears nine minutes after the break through Oliver Mann but the Planters restored their two-goal advantage in the 73rd minute, Andy Key's 50-yard crossfield ball setting up Hunter to score.

Within a minute it was 3-2 when Lee Wilcox scored from the edge of the area, but United made it 4-2 in the 77th minute when Hunter's free-kick was glanced home by King. Substitute Adam Thomson netted five minutes from time to set up a tense finale. It broke a run of six games without a league win.

Yarmouth continued their good away form with a 2-0 win at FC Clacton. Craig Roberts put them ahead on 32 minutes with Gavin Norman adding the second five minutes later.

Jake Reed proved a constant threat and good defence from Roberts, Gareth Palmer, Jonny King, Joe Bell and keeper Michael Hilton in the second half saw the Bloaters to their first clean sheet of the season.

'The defence was majestic,' said manager Paul Tong. 'We had to make changes with Martyn Magee unavailable, and the boys deserved their well-earned three points. Although he did not score, leading marksman Reed received fulsome praise. 'Reedy is a quality player, one of the best I have worked with,' said Tong. 'He's young and he's learning, but while he was disappointed with not scoring, the work he does for the rest of the team is different class.'

Kirkley & Pakefield, in third spot, drew 2-2 at home to a well-organised Hadleigh, who took a sixth-minute lead. On 20 minutes Scott Manning's run into the area set up Ryan Crisp to cross for Ali McKenna to volley home off a post.

Hadleigh took a shock lead on 55 minutes but the Royals battled on and were rewarded with a goal in the 76th minute, McKenna teeing up Ian Dawson for a magnificent curling chip shot from 30 yards over the keeper.

In the final action the Hadleigh keeper saved well from McKenna but Dawson fired the rebound wide.

Wisbech had a 2-1 home win over bottom club Woodbridge Town to maintain their sixth position in the table.