Wroxham close gap at the top

Diss Town 0, Wroxham 1: Wroxham closed the gap at the top of the Ridgeons Premier Division to three points thanks to a 1-0 win at Diss Town last night.

The Yachtsmen, who have four games in hand on league leaders Dereham, left it late however, relying on a 77th minute own goal to halt a run which had seen them slip to three successive defeats.

After an uninspiring first half, the game sprang to life when Diss' Danny Partridge hit the woodwork in the 69th minute.

But it was the wake-up call Dave Batch's men needed and their quality finally told 13 minutes from time as a Tangerines player put through his own net under pressure from Paul Cook.

• Kirkley & Pakefield 1, Dereham Town 1

Dereham, who started the evening five points clear, were held to a draw at Kirkley and Pakefield last night.

Most Read

The Magpies took the lead in fortunate circumstances after five minutes when Adam Smith's intended cross drifted into the back of the net.

But the Royals, who have improved since Paul Tong took over as manager, responded in a positive manner and equalised midway through the first half when Joe Bell's long range drive beat Shaun Marshall, with the ball appearing to take a slight deflection on its way in.

The game was an even contest after that, with both sides having their chances, but in the end a draw was probably a fair result.

• Great Yarmouth Town 0, Norwich Utd 5

Norwich United piled the misery on the Bloaters as they strolled to a victory that took them up to third in the Premier Division table.

The hosts were hammered 8-2 by Clacton at The Wellesley on Saturday and shipped five more last night, with defender Steve Shipley recording a brace.

United took control with two quick goals midway through the first half with Shipley heading home Lee Hunter's corner and Thomas Mustapha rounding keeper Jamie Greygoose to make it 2-0.

The game was over as a contest on 50 minutes when substutue Ian Hunter converted Jordan Blyth's cross with a diving header – and the Planters went on to rub salt into the wounds with another quick double.

Shipley got on the end of Andy Key's free-kick to beat substitute keeper Scott Addy, who had just replaced the injured Greyhouse, and George Wilson completed the rout with a neat lob.