Wroxham are boosted by FA Cup success

The FA Cup brought Wroxham's first victory of the season on Saturday – but manager David Batch is confident there is still plenty more improvement to come from his Ryman League new boys.

First-half goals from Matt Daniels and Matt Blake were more than enough to put Essex Senior outfit Great Wakering Rovers to the sword in the Yachtsmen's 2-0 FA Cup preliminary round win at Trafford Park, setting up a first qualifying round visit from fellow Ryman Division One North side Brentwood Town. Brentwood were 6-0 victors at Halstead Town.

And while the victory on Saturday helped ease some of the pain from two opening league defeats for the newly promoted Wroxham, Batch is confident the upward curve will be a long and fruitful one – hopefully starting with their Ryman return this afternoon (3pm) at home to Waltham Forest, a side who are bottom of the early table having lost both of their games while conceding seven goals in the process.

Batch said: 'We played OK – every performance we've had this season has been better than the last, so we are getting there but we are nowhere near the level we will be at. I know that. I know we will keep improving and getting better.

'We've got more to do, more to give and some players are almost going through pre-season at the moment due to injuries.

'We have been the in the final third more than the opposition in all of our matches so far and that was similar again on Saturday. We won 2-0 but we should have been 5-0 up at half-time.'

Daniels' opener came on 24 minutes from the spot, before Blake rounded a defender to fire home nine minutes before the break.

Most Read

As the match wound down, Great Wakering saw centre-back Hepburn dismissed by referee Paul Quirk as Wroxham rounded out comfortable victors.

Elsewhere, Paul Chick was pleased with his team's performance as Norwich United progressed thanks to a 2-0 win at Eton Manor, played at Waltham Abbey.

Jon Lovelock helped give the visitors the perfect start, teeing up Nathan Howard to force home after just seven minutes.

And the result was put beyond doubt on 67 minutes as a real bit of quality saw Howard drag the ball past a defender before curling past the Eton keeper into the top corner.

A trip to Ryman Division One North's Grays Athletic awaits in the first qualifying round, which will be played on September 8.

Goals from Chris Bacon, Matt Lunn and an Adam Millson penalty saw Wisbech advance against Yaxley.

Bacon opened the scoring after 19 minutes, riding a couple of challenges before slotting the ball in at the far post, while Bacon's lofted pass was guided home by Matt Lunn early in the second half.

The scoring was completed on 65 minutes when Bacon was fouled on the edge of the area and Adam Millson stepped up to score.

A visit from Southern League Premier Division side Kettering Town – relegated two divisions and deducted 10 points last season due to financial issues – in the first qualifying round was the Fenmen's prize.

A waterlogged pitch means Dereham will have to do it all again after their game with Northamptonshire outfit Woodford United was abandoned 30 minutes in. The Magpies were 2-0 ahead before the torrential rain arrived, Sam Borrer and Luke Tuttle getting the goals. The game will be replayed tomorrow night (7.45pm) at Aldiss Park.

There was no joy for the coastal trio looking for a place in the next stage of the competition, with Great Yarmouth Town, Gorleston and Kirkley and Pakefield all going out.

Great Yarmouth's FA Cup campaign was smashed by Witham Town who emphasised the gulf between Division One of the Thurlow Nunn League and Division One North of the Ryman League as they left the Wellesley with an 8-1 victory.

Kirkley & Pakefield's exit was less expected as they were beaten 2-0 at home by Southend Manor, who have made a poor start to the Essex Senior League Premier Division season.

Ryman Division One North outfit Needham Market were too strong for Gorleston, who have looked so good in their Thurlow Nunn Premier Division start.

The Greens, who boasted a 100pc record before the weekend, left Suffolk with a 6-2 defeat.

The home side were 3-0 up at the break, opening the scoring on 17 minutes through Jack Wilkinson before further efforts from Sam Newson and James Hubbard emphasised their superiority.

Hubbard netted his second on the hour mark, only for Bradley Hough to reduce the arrears almost immediately following a defensive mix-up. But Kieran Leabon swiftly restored the four goal cushion and Hubbard completed his hat-trick to make it 5-1 before Christy Finch grabbed a late consolation.