Wroxham and Dereham neck and neck

Wroxham are now level with Dereham in the chase for second place in the Ridgeons championship.

While the Yachtsmen were winning 2-0 at home against Haverhill, the Magpies played their second successive home 0-0 draw, with CRC.

The sides each have 69 points, Dereham, with the better goal difference, from one game fewer. Champions-elect Leiston won 1-0 at fourth-placed Mildenhall to go 15 points clear with one and two games in hand over Dereham and Wroxham respectively.

Wroxham's Steve Jordan was injured during the warm-up and was replaced by Josh Carus. From an early free-kick Shaun Howes' cross was headed off the line by Paul Abbott.

The first goal came through a Haverhill goal-kick by a defender, who slipped for the ball to reach Paul Cook. His good control and coolness took him round the keeper for an easy tap-in on 15 minutes.

You may also want to watch:

Another quality free-kick, from Gav Lemmon, found Paul Cook whose header across the face of goal fell for Carus. His point-blank header was brilliantly saved by Matt Morrison.

With second-half conditions worsening and passing on the floor not easy, Ross Durrant, with a great 40-yard pass, found Danny Self at the back post and he headed across goal, the keeper doing did well to palm away.

Most Read

Danny Bloomfield on 70 minutes clipped the outside of a post. With the game getting stretched and Haverhill pushing forward, Lemmon produced a killer pass with a through-ball to Ben Thompson clear on the edge of the area. He neatly beat the offside trap to hammer home for 2-0.

Wisbech moved up to fifth place, albeit on goal difference, as they recorded a hard fought 2-1 home victory over Kirkley & Pakefield.

The Fenmen may have feared a backlash following Kirkley's heavy defeat by Brantham but just had enough for victory, given to them by Paul Cousins' late header.

Wisbech prepared for the match by beating Norwich United 2-0 in midweek.

Jon Reynolds' side showed signs of early optimism as they adopted a long-ball game but were made to pay on 16 minutes. Scott Manning provided the finish to send the Royals in front as the Wisbech defence failed to clear following Lea Jordan's fine save.

After the break, Wisbech improved significantly. On 57 minutes they equalised as Ash Stevens' powerful strike beat Dave Attridge.

Stacey Cartwright was outstanding at the heart of the Wisbech defence and in the first minute of added time his long ball was headed home by Paul Cousins as keeper Dave Attridge looked in vain for a free-kick.

Andrew Claydon hit a perfect hat-trick as Norwich United put their four games without a goal behind them with a 4-1 win at Stanway Rovers.

'Yes, it was a perfect hat-trick, the first with my head, then my right and then my left.

'But it was an all-round team performance,' said the modest striker.

It was a much-improved performance with many players rivalling hat-trick hero Claydon.

The Planters took the lead in the 25th minute when David Cory's cross to the near post was met by Claydon's delicate header over Wilding and into the far corner.

Within four minutes of the restart the Planters had doubled their lead. Ryan Foster and Cory combined to set up Claydon to sweep home from the penalty spot with his right foot.

In the 68th minute Claydon was fouled and Andy Key's free-kick was headed home by Nathan Clarke. Claydon completed his hat trick with Stanway claiming handball in the build-up. Stanway secured a late consolation through Joe Davis.

Felixtowe, with a 2-1 win at the Wellesley, inflicted a double over Yarmouth to ease relegation fears.

Yarmouth were behind within ten minutes through Allicion Blake's angled shot. Then a Yarmouth attack was cleared and Blake outpaced the covering defenders to lift the ball over the keeper for No 2.

Ten minutes from half-time a good Yarmouth interchange ended in Adey Ager threading the ball through for Gavin Norman to net his 13th goal of the season.

A very late goal gave Fakenham a 1-1 home draw but their visitors Gorleston's promotion push benefited from other results going their way.

Cambridge University Press and Whitton also drew, with Diss the only one of the top four to win, 3-0 at home to Stowmarket. Only four points separate the quartet.

Fakenham manager Wayne Anderson was delighted at the way his new system worked. 'We threw everyone in at the deep end. They were a bit confused to start with in the dressing room but they took on board what I and Jarvo (assistant Neil Jarvis) told them. They could have had all three points.'

On a soggy pitch, division leaders by one point Gorleston struggled to get their game together and Fakenham looked the most likely to open the scoring. Gorleston, however, scored nine minutes into the second half. Steve Taylor and Darren Cockrill set up Mitch Forbes to drill home his 14th goal of the campaign.

The referee found over six minutes of added on time and five minutes in a ball was hoisted into the Green's area by Stephen Harvey. With Ben Coe and Matt Gilchrist putting keeper Elliott Pride under pressure, the ball fell for Gilchrist to equalise.

Diss continued their promotion push with a fifth successive 3-0 win.

It took until the 31st minute for the Tangerines to take the lead and a firm grip on the game. Jordan Rocastle turned a defender and shot into the far corner of the net for his 21st goal of the season. A few minutes later Rocastle forced Kevin Bugg to tip a shot over.

Diss went 2-0 up in the 39th minute from a corner taken by Stuart Garner on the left. His cross was headed powerfully in by Stefan Gilding. Matty Webster was forced to make a good save to deny James Graham just before half-time.

Andy Moody sent a free-kick into the danger zone in the 48th minute. The ball was not cleared and Sam Bryant scored from eight yards, his seventh goal of the season.

Five minutes from time Partridge had a great chance but he put his shot wide. Then Stowmarket had James Horsfall sent off.

Swaffham completed their double over Cornard United, repeating a 7-0 win away.

The first goal came just seven minutes into the game. A great through ball by captain David Spalding released Joe Jackson to score.

A minute later, Jackson's striking partner Craig Burton made it two, beating a pair of defenders to lash the ball into the bottom corner of the net.

Burton, four minutes later, played in Nathan Cross to slide the ball low past the keeper for the third. A Jackson corner in the 22nd minute was met by a Scott Voutt header. Cornard then rallied and defended better.

Early in the second half, Richard Cornwall replaced Spalding through injury and Jack Redhead replaced Will O'Brien.

Burton's second came from a Jackson corner. Jackson then bagged his second, beating two men to volley in. Jake Platten replaced Jackson in the 68th minute, and his first impact on the game came three minutes later. Receiving from Burton, he took two touches forward and side-footed past the keeper.

Thetford had to settle for a point in a goalless draw at Godmanchester in windy conditions where their final ball was over-hit first half but three chances were created.

Facing the wind second half, Town again went close but were nearly caught out by Godmanchester's long-ball game.

A Matt Blake free-kick hit the top of the home bar.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter