Wroxham 3 Thamesmead 2 – Yachtsmen boost hopes of survival


- Credit: Archant

Wroxham gave their survival hopes a boost with a thrilling win over Thamesmead.

Wroxham are now off the bottom with two games in hand over Great Wakering, who fell to the basement, and Brentwood, who are immediately above.

Wroxham started off brightly but fell behind on eight minutes when Mead's talisman striker Paul Vines scored. Tom Rampling slipped as the ball fell to Ellis Brown who took full advantage and neatly went past two other Wroxham defenders before crossing to Vines. who duly finished off to give the visitors the lead.

The home side didn't waste time in getting back on level terms. A through ball reached Ross Gilfedder who crossed into the middle for Armani Schaar to finish in similar style on 12 minutes. The game then settled into some end to end action as Elliott Pride got down well to turn around a shot from Vines and Ben Lewis headed over for Wroxham.

Towards the end of the half Thamesmead forced Wroxham on the back foot with a good shot from left back Jay Porter well saved by Pride who repeated this to deny Aaron Rhule, who was booked for his response.

You may also want to watch:

Just before half-time there was to be a defining turning point as Mead were reduced to 10 men, with Rhule receiving his march orders.

This was just the boost Wroxham needed as they took an early second half lead against the 10 men thanks to Ross Gilfedder's strike.

Most Read

The Yachtsmen got a third when Craig Bussens had a bit of luck with a dummy in his own half which enabled him to charge forward unchallenged and get in a cross for Schaar.

The Wroxham striker got his second goal when his shot was half stopped with a block tackle by the Mead 'keeper but still had enough momentum to cross the line.

Wroxham were then able to make substitutions as new boy Ollie Humphreys replaced Rampling and Jack Guyton came on for Gilfedder.

Thamesmead were still dangerous as Ellis Green burst through but his shot was again well held by Pride.

Mead were getting frustrated as more bookings followed but they weren't out of it as Porter crossed for Alex Teniola who missed an open goal attempt.

With the clock ticking down they pulled one back when the ball was punted into the box and a flicked header fell for Ellis Green to finish in the 87th minute.

This meant a few nail-biting moments for Wroxham to hang on although they had a good chance for a fourth goal when Schaar saw his shot parried by Welham.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus