Wroxham 0 Cheshunt 2 – Yachtsmen miss out on deserved point in Ryman League opener
Wroxham showed encouraging signs for the season ahead with a performance which was only lacking a positive result at the end.
The Yachtsmen were organised, disciplined and committed in a match in which chances were at a premium. In open play, Wroxham's back four looked assured, with Stephen Taylor, Nick Bailey, Ben Lewis and Ollie Ebbage doing well.
Jason Hallett, who scored five goals for the Ambers in the two fixtures last season, was on holiday, and Cheshunt struggled to create.
Ebbage missed Wroxham's best chance of the first half when a corner from the right was volleyed wide.
Wroxham went behind when a corner from the right led to Luke Illsley's header hitting the post, Joe Kizzi turned it goalwards for Steve Taylor to put through his own net in attempting to clear.
You may also want to watch:
The match was wrapped up on 80 minutess when Joe Kizzi scored from another corner and despite Jordan Rocastle's best efforts, Wroxham could not recover to claim what would have been a deserved point.
They will be looking to make amends when they make the short trip to Dereham Town tomorrow.
- 1 Revealed: The areas where Covid cases are still increasing
- 2 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 3 Man admits defrauding more than £1.3m from Norfolk firm
- 4 Fired twice in two months: Events boss feels the pain of Covid
- 5 Norfolk bowls star tests positive at world indoor championships
- 6 'A lot of tears' as care home announces closure with 30 jobs lost
- 7 Shocking CCTV shows carer abusing woman with dementia
- 8 Warnings for snow and ice in place across region
- 9 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 10 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street