World silver medal for Norfolk swimmer Jessica-Jane Applegate
- Credit: Twitter @jessica_jane96
Norfolk swimming star Jessica-Jane Applegate won a silver medal at the IPC Swimming World Championships in Glasgow this evening.
The 18-year-old Olympic gold medallist, from Belton near Gorleston, qualified for the women's 200m freestyle S14 final – the event she won at London 2012 – after finishing second in her heat earlier in the day.
The UEA City of Norwich Swimming Club ace was beaten in the heat by Russia's Valeriia Shabalina, who broke her own world record of 2:06.50mins and Applegate's championship record of 2:09.88 with her heat winning time of 2:05.99.
The 20-year-old was 1.11 seconds ahead of Applegate in the heat and then extended that to two seconds in the final – as both went faster in their battle for gold.
The former Ormiston Venture Academy pupil finished in 2:06.98 in the final but Shabalina completed the race in 2:04.98 to improve her world and championship records.
You may also want to watch:
Applegate – who was made an MBE following her success at London 2012 – broke her personal best time in both her heat and the final, as she continues her preparations for next summer's Rio Paralympics.
Applegate used her Twitter account (@jessica_jane96) to post a photo of her with bronze medallist Marlou van der Kulk, saying: 'Gave it my all it just wasn't meant to be tonight! Still happy with a PB and a best friend to celebrate it with!'
- 1 Fire crews battling large house blaze
- 2 Seven cosy pubs to visit in Norfolk this winter
- 3 Ford and Jaguar crash in second incident near village in same night
- 4 Jailed this week: Primark brawl, attempted murder and abuse
- 5 BBC Autumnwatch returns to Norfolk for another season
- 6 Road closed after crash involving car and two tractors
- 7 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 8 950-home bid takes step forward after £7m developer contribution agreed
- 9 'I remember shutting down' - Singer on cancer diagnosis at Norfolk hospital
- 10 What might happen to former Debenhams store in city centre?