Woodforde’s Norfolk Senior Cup: Norwich 20 Diss 24
- Credit: Archant
Diss edged out Norwich to book their place in the Norfolk Cup final in a pulsating game that the visitors looked in control of at half-time before Norwich hit back.
The visitors opened the scoring following a penalty on 15 minutes. Diss camped on the Norwich line and with their significant weight advantage they disrupted a Norwich five-metre scrum and from the resulting ruck Tim Groom powered over to give the visitors the lead.
Six minutes later, following some excellent running by Richie Rhodes and Michael Campton-Smith, the home side were awarded a penalty which Ben Girling kicked to take the score to 3-5.
Diss then slickly moved the ball wide after a Norwich attack had broken down, allowing James Scott to break through to score near the posts, giving Jack Keppel an easy conversion.
With minutes to go in the first half, and following a stolen Norwich lineout, Peter Bray scored near the right-hand corner and although the conversion was missed Diss ended the half with a 3-17 lead.
You may also want to watch:
Within eight minutes of restart Norwich reduced the deficit following a try from Campton-Smith which Girling converted.
Seven minutes later Carter scored under the posts for Diss to extend their lead, but almost immediately an interception by Campton-Smith led to his second try, which reduced the deficit to nine points.
- 1 Norfolk's first mass Covid vaccination centre to open in food court
- 2 Norfolk wakes up to snow with more expected to fall
- 3 Drivers face non-essential travel fines after spate of snow crashes
- 4 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 5 Government must step in to help 'desperate' Norwich hospital, says MP
- 6 Are you in our Norfolk school photos from the 1970s?
- 7 Covid case rates continue to fall across Norfolk and Waveney
- 8 'Anti-social rider' has quadbike seized in the snow
- 9 'Disappointment' as thieves raid £16,000 of kit from town's sports club
- 10 Plea for farmers to engage with public over footpath fears
Five minutes later Norwich prop Pip Scott was sent to the sin bin but the Norwich defence held out for the full 10 minutes.
Within a minute of Scott returning, and Diss forward Jacob Page being sent to the sin bin, a flowing backs move resulted in Callum Macaulay scoring for Norwich in the left hand corner, taking the score to 20-24. The conversion was missed.
With the advantage of one extra player Norwich piled on the pressure but a stout Diss defence kept them at bay.