Women’s FA Cup round-up: Guy’s girls pull off huge upset as Wymondham Town beat Cambridge United
- Credit: Action Images
The region's interest in the Women's FA Cup was halved this afternoon to leave just two teams dreaming of Wembley.
The region's interest in the Women's FA Cup was halved yesterday to leave just two teams dreaming of Wembley.
There was joy for Wymondham Town and Lowestoft as they progressed to the fourth qualifying round but despair for beaten duo Acle United and Norwich City.
Boss Alex Guy had boldy stated his Wymondham side were more than capable of upsetting Cambridge United. And he was right as despite playing three levels below the U's, the Norfolk Division Division One hosts triumphed 1-0 to record a memorable upset. Sally Hammerton scored the winning goal.
Lowestoft caused another shock, albeit less seismic, when they triumphed 5-1 at higher-tier QPR. The Premier League South East Division visitors beat their Premier Southern counterparts thanks to goals from Millie Davies, Amber Rowland, Hannah Waters and a Zoe Cossey brace.
You may also want to watch:
Acle United's exciting adventure during their first season in the competition came to an end at Luton Town.
They were beaten 3-1 while Norwich City suffered a 1-0 home defeat against lower-tier Marlow, who play at the same level as Acle.
- 1 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 2 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 3 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 4 Sneak peek inside first £2.7m luxury mansion for sale
- 5 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 6 Woman in 30s suffers head injuries in violent attack by two girls
- 7 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 8 New Lidl supermarket opens in Norwich
- 9 Hospital investigated over 'contentious' deaths goes bust owing £4m
- 10 Plot of gold? Land up for sale for £750,000