Women’s East Conference: Lee-Smith hat-trick helps Harleston Magpies hammer poor Bedford
- Credit: Archant
Harleston Magpies had another triumphant win this weekend, beating Bedford 5-1.
Last time Magpies faced Bedford they had a disappointing 1-0 defeat but this time the ladies had worked on their tactics and team work and managed to put five away against the Bedford defence.
Magpies started well with a goal in the 10th minute of the game, coming from an intercepted pass straight to Emma Lee-Smith, who hit the ball into the top right-hand corner of the goal.
Magpies' team work and stable formation caused problems for the Bedford defence again and a short corner led to another goal from Lee-Smith just seven minutes after.
Magpies' midfield of Debbie Francis, Louisa Greenacre, Amy Campbell, Lauren Barber and Charlotte Harrison controlled the middle of the pitch and stopped Bedford from making attacking plays. This allowed for the Magpies attack to have multiple chances to score, which Susan Wessels took, receiving the ball standing on the penalty spot and placing it calmly in the back of the goal.
You may also want to watch:
The second half started and Bedford were not ready to give up the fight but the Magpies defence held strong and they regained their composure and put pressure back on Bedford, gaining their fourth goal through Wessels at a short corner. Lee-Smith then completed her hat-trick by driving along the back line and flicking the ball over the goalkeeper.
Bedford however never gave up and pulled one back for a consolation.
- 1 Anger as woodland used as 'playground and dustbin'
- 2 Escape to the Country names 'north Norfolk's seaside capital'
- 3 Pretty thatched cafe business on Broads for sale for £75,000
- 4 Report into woman's murder by jealous ex: 'Employers must do more'
- 5 Homes plan to be revealed for former infant school
- 6 Giant Victorian underground reservoir marks supplying city for 150 years
- 7 Former village pub for sale as home
- 8 First look at five new homes released for sale at popular site in Taverham
- 9 Before and after: How has Norwich changed over the years?
- 10 Fit for a king or queen: 'Castle' for sale at auction for £650,000
With a few minutes left the goal did not have an impact on the end result and Magpies will be hoping this run of wins continues against Horsham this weekend.