In-form Frew on a mission for Wisbech Town
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Town's man of the moment Michael Frew says he's loving life at the club - and admits he has already exceeded his goalscoring expectations this season.
The striker hit the only goal as the Fenmen beat United Counties League Premier Division leaders Yaxley on Tuesday night. Frew struck in the 37th minute to settle the Elgoods Fenland Stadium showdown as Wisbech closed to within a point of top spot.
That effort arrived hot on the heels of a hat-trick in a 6-0 home thumping of Rothwell Corinthians last Saturday.
An early own goal put Wisbech ahead in that game before Frew struck twice in the first half.
Richard Bunting struck early in the second period before Frew completed his treble. Billy Smith then got in on the act in the closing stages.
You may also want to watch:
'Everyone has been excellent and I am really enjoying playing my football at Wisbech,' said Frew.
'You are only as good as the service you get from the players around you and I am really lucky to have team-mates as good as what I have got.
- 1 Town's country park remains closed after woman's body discovered
- 2 Boss puts Queen Anne family home up for sale for £1.325m
- 3 Norwich takeaway's food poisoning complaint investigation closed
- 4 Drivers delivering for Amazon have hundreds of pounds of pay withheld
- 5 Suspected drink driver charged after police dog tracks down man hiding in a ditch
- 6 Peter Crouch drove to Yarmouth while on Norwich loan - and wasn't impressed
- 7 Woman cut from car after crash on A11
- 8 The Original Factory Shop set to open in Cromer
- 9 Prince Philip memorial erected in town park just a day after his death
- 10 EFL announce revised schedule to avoid Prince Philip funeral clash
'The whole team are scoring goals and creating chances. Beckie (Alex Beck) has even managed to get a couple more goals than me. Between us we are on around 60 so far this season.
'The whole team have been outstanding since Setch (Gary Setchell) came in. We play for each other and always give our all for each other.'
Frew has now found the net 26 times in all this season. While he revealed that has surpassed his target for the campaign, he is still hungry for more as Wisbech chase the title.
'I have already beaten my tally for last year,' he added. 'You always have targets for yourself and you never think you are going to hit them, but this season has exceeded what I was expecting.
'I just want to keep getting more goals now and make sure that we keep winning games and are in the title mix at the end of the season.
'As a striker, you want to make sure that the gaffer has no choice but to play you and to do that you need to get goals.
'Fortunately it's happening for me at the minute. I am playing surrounded by confident players and there is a real buzz around the dressing room.'