Wisbech Town 11 Northampton Sileby Rangers 0: History-making Fenmen hammer visitors
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2017
Wisbech Town's 11-0 win over Northampton Sileby Rangers had fans reaching for the history books as the Fenmen recorded their biggest win for at least 25 years.
The scoreline eclipsed the previous ground record win of 9-1 against Sleaford back in September.
Alex Beck headed Wisbech ahead in the sixth minute and five minutes later, Danny Setchell, dispatched a hotly-disputed penalty after Beck appeared to be tripped by Sileby keeper Dom Roggero.
The visitors were reduced to 10 men in the 38th minute after the referee spotted Craig Meakins punching Setchell in the face. Beck poked home his second goal from the resulting free-kick.
Three minutes before the break, Adam Millson added a fourth to put Wisbech firmly in command.
You may also want to watch:
The Fenmen went nap as Beck completed his hat-trick in the 49th minute and Millson's second shortly afterwards made it six without reply.
Billy Smith got his name on the scoresheet just after the hour mark but there was then a 15-minute period with no goals until Richard Bunting scored his first Wisbech goal with a curling shot from the edge of the box.
- 1 Fire crews battling large house blaze
- 2 Seven cosy pubs to visit in Norfolk this winter
- 3 Ford and Jaguar crash in second incident near village in same night
- 4 Jailed this week: Primark brawl, attempted murder and abuse
- 5 Roof collapses into home after major blaze engulfs it
- 6 Three cars crash and two end up in ditches on rural road
- 7 BBC Autumnwatch returns to Norfolk for another season
- 8 Road closed after crash involving car and two tractors
- 9 £6.1m shopping street revamp will take half of 2022 to complete
- 10 Parking debate and police focus part of crackdown on 'keyed' cars
The final six minutes saw the record score at the Elgoods Fenland Stadium equalled as Millson registered his hat-trick, Beck grabbed his fourth to make it 10-0 and the tireless Michael Frew added the eleventh in the final minute.
The Fenmen's next match is at home to leaders Newport Pagnell Town on Saturday, January 27, 3pm.