Wisbech Town 11 Northampton Sileby Rangers 0: History-making Fenmen hammer visitors
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2017
Wisbech Town's 11-0 win over Northampton Sileby Rangers had fans reaching for the history books as the Fenmen recorded their biggest win for at least 25 years.
The scoreline eclipsed the previous ground record win of 9-1 against Sleaford back in September.
Alex Beck headed Wisbech ahead in the sixth minute and five minutes later, Danny Setchell, dispatched a hotly-disputed penalty after Beck appeared to be tripped by Sileby keeper Dom Roggero.
The visitors were reduced to 10 men in the 38th minute after the referee spotted Craig Meakins punching Setchell in the face. Beck poked home his second goal from the resulting free-kick.
Three minutes before the break, Adam Millson added a fourth to put Wisbech firmly in command.
You may also want to watch:
The Fenmen went nap as Beck completed his hat-trick in the 49th minute and Millson's second shortly afterwards made it six without reply.
Billy Smith got his name on the scoresheet just after the hour mark but there was then a 15-minute period with no goals until Richard Bunting scored his first Wisbech goal with a curling shot from the edge of the box.
- 1 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 2 Nurse's 'heartbreak' over hospital care as her father dies on Covid ward
- 3 Aviva to close two large office sites in Norwich
- 4 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 5 Councillor 'incandescent' over second-home owners breaking Covid rules
- 6 Deputy lieutenant of Norfolk sells beloved thatched Broads home
- 7 A47 closed in both directions after crash
- 8 'I've lost my pension': Car collection destroyed by 'professional' vandal
- 9 Woman in her 20s among 31 Covid patients to die in five days at hospital
- 10 Timeline: When should you receive the coronavirus vaccine?
The final six minutes saw the record score at the Elgoods Fenland Stadium equalled as Millson registered his hat-trick, Beck grabbed his fourth to make it 10-0 and the tireless Michael Frew added the eleventh in the final minute.
The Fenmen's next match is at home to leaders Newport Pagnell Town on Saturday, January 27, 3pm.