Wisbech want to follow promotion by clinching title on home soil
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Town are celebrating promotion – now they want to go up in style.
The fabulous Fenmen sealed their rise from the United Counties League Premier Division with a Tuesday triumph at Daventry Town.
Adam Millson hit the solitary goal early in the second half to earn a 1-0 success. It was a fifth consecutive victory – all achieved with clean sheets – and sealed a top-two finish.
It means Gary Setchell's side will play Step 4 football next season with confirmation of which league that will be in due later this month.
More immediately, they want to go up as champions by beating the same Daventry opponents at the Elgoods Fenland Stadium this afternoon in their final game of the season.
You may also want to watch:
And Setchell, who replaced Dick Creasey as boss after a poor start to the campaign, hopes it will be a glorious occasion.
He said: 'Winning promotion was just a pipe dream when I came in last September.
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Police called to troublespot Norwich hotel 324 times in two years
- 3 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000
- 4 The best restaurant in Norfolk for a romantic date revealed
- 5 New 20mph speed cameras to tackle NDR rat-runners
- 6 Police search undergrowth as man arrested for murder of missing woman
- 7 Body found at Mousehold Heath there for 'considerable amount of time'
- 8 Norfolk Day 2021: Your must-have guide to all events
- 9 Man in 40s airlifted to hospital after suffering medical emergency
- 10 Former City skipper a frontrunner for Swansea job
'We've worked with a small squad – with no reserve side or Under 18 team at the club – and the lads have all done unbelievably well to make it happen.
'It was another magnificent result at Daventry.
'To respond to the loss at home to Newport Pagnell recently with five wins and five clean sheets – we deserve to be champions.
'But Yaxley are not giving the title to us and we have to finish the job.
'They also had a change of manager during the season and Andy Furnell has done a great job there.
'There's nothing Yaxley can do now, though. We're in the box seat and we need to make the most of it.
'I just hope the people of Wisbech come out in force to support the boys as they deserve the backing.
'I'd like to think we can get 500 through the gate.
'We could win a league title for the first time in 27 years and it can be a great day.'
Wisbech must beat Daventry again to leapfrog Yaxley, who also clinched promotion on Tuesday with a 1-0 win at Kirby Muxloe in their final game.
Wisbech are a point behind Yaxley, who boast a superior goal difference.