Results go Wisbech’s way in race for Premier title
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Town should go into Saturday's trip to Kirby Muxloe in Leicestershire in good heart after two main rivals dropped valuable points in midweek.
Town bounced back from a 3-1 home defeat to title rivals Newport Pagnell with a 1-0 win at Leicester Nirvana on Tuesday, which pushed them back into second place – thanks to Pagnell's draw at Rothwell Corinthians the same night – three points behind Yaxley with a game in hand, but inferior goal difference.
And Wisbech's good fortune continued on Thursday when Yaxley could only draw 0-0 at Eynesbury Rovers – leaving Gary Setchell's men four points in arrears, but with two games in hand.
'It was all about getting the win,' said Setchell after the midweek win.
'It wasn't a night to worry about the performance.
You may also want to watch:
'I made some big changes including leaving my top-scorer and a couple of others lads out. It turned into a good night with Pagnell dropping points.'
- 1 Large police presence in Norfolk village after person dies on boat
- 2 Latest situation at Norfolk hospitals sees covid-related admissions remain static
- 3 Village pub offers 'proper' 1p 'Penne-y Pasta' dish with alcoholic drink
- 4 Schools close early for Christmas after outbreak of 11 Covid cases
- 5 30,000 Christmas turkeys to be culled in bird flu outbreak
- 6 Parts of Norfolk see heavy snow falls with more to come
- 7 Man denies running Japanese restaurant from Norwich home for the third time
- 8 Workmen unearth six skeletons during city street overhaul
- 9 Stubborn swan squares up to traffic in Norfolk village
- 10 Delays expected as 48-ton boat is transported through Suffolk and Norfolk