Second-half burst earns points for Wisbech
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech had to wait until the second half to secure the points in a tough match against the in-form visitors.
The visiting keeper was by far the busier in the first half but it was often profligate shooting by the Fenmen's strikers which saw the match goalless at the break.
The turning point came in the 56th minute when Cogenhoe defender Sean McBride was shown a straight red after leaving his foot in on Wisbech skipper Jon Fairweather after the ball had gone. It took nine minutes for the numerical advantage to tell as Alex Beck scored the opening goal with a brilliant left-foot volley over the keeper.
On 70 minutes, Adam Millson had time to pick his spot from six yards out as Josh Ford beat two defenders to cut the ball back from the by-line. Debutant 18-year-old striker Josh Davison, signed on loan from Peterborough United, had been on the pitch only 30 seconds when he got on the end of a Michael Frew diagonal ball into the box to make it 3-0.
A penalty six minutes from time saw a rare failure from the spot by Danny Setchell, whose effort was brilliantly saved by Stuart Lutter.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Man jailed for seven years over coercive behaviour which left victim 'shattered'
- 2 Nine Norfolk schools closed or partly shut due to Covid-19 cases
- 3 Major boost for £100m campaign to reintroduce rail travel between two Norfolk towns
- 4 Six new coronavirus deaths confirmed at Norfolk hospital
- 5 Flood alerts in place across Norfolk
- 6 Fears loss of Arcadia group could have significant impact on Norfolk high streets
- 7 'Rare' Norfolk vicarage goes up for sale for £1.1m
- 8 How close is Norfolk to tier 1?
- 9 Fresh calls for Norfolk to move to tier one ahead of key Commons vote
- 10 Talented 24-year-old opens new bakery in village