Second-half burst earns points for Wisbech
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech had to wait until the second half to secure the points in a tough match against the in-form visitors.
The visiting keeper was by far the busier in the first half but it was often profligate shooting by the Fenmen's strikers which saw the match goalless at the break.
The turning point came in the 56th minute when Cogenhoe defender Sean McBride was shown a straight red after leaving his foot in on Wisbech skipper Jon Fairweather after the ball had gone. It took nine minutes for the numerical advantage to tell as Alex Beck scored the opening goal with a brilliant left-foot volley over the keeper.
On 70 minutes, Adam Millson had time to pick his spot from six yards out as Josh Ford beat two defenders to cut the ball back from the by-line. Debutant 18-year-old striker Josh Davison, signed on loan from Peterborough United, had been on the pitch only 30 seconds when he got on the end of a Michael Frew diagonal ball into the box to make it 3-0.
A penalty six minutes from time saw a rare failure from the spot by Danny Setchell, whose effort was brilliantly saved by Stuart Lutter.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Builder took pink pill and ran naked around hotel
- 2 Fire tears through historic Thorpe pub
- 3 Four national high street names to move into former M&S store
- 4 Mass coronavirus vaccination centre opens in Norwich today
- 5 Stunning images capture Cromer in the snow
- 6 Store open despite positive Covid test at town centre Sainsbury's
- 7 Vaccines roll-out to move on to over 70s
- 8 Delays as 23m-long caravan travels through Norfolk
- 9 Norfolk to get rapid Covid test sites - to find people without symptoms
- 10 Vandals leave £80,000 trail of destruction in car park