Wisbech 1 Brighouse 1: Ten-man Wisbech earn point
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Town extended their unbeaten home run in the Evo-Stik Northern Premier League Division One East to four games with a 1-1 draw – despite playing 75 minutes of the game a man down.
The sending off of Danny Setchell – son of manager Gary – in the 15th minute for violent conduct meant the Fenmen's job would be harder against a Brighouse Town side who occupied seventh place at the start of play.
However, it was 12th-placed Wisbech who struck first on the half hour. Alex Beck found the net from six yards after good work by Aaron Hart down the right from debutant Jack Keeble's free-kick.
Despite their numerical advantage, the visitors from West Yorkshire struggled to break down a resolute home defence and didn't register a shot on target until Brighouse midfielder Iwan Heeley beat keeper Dan Swan with a shot from 25 yards in the 63rd minute to bring the scores level.
Shortly afterwards, the crossbar denied the visitors while Swan pulled off a tremendous save to deny Aaron Martin towards the end.
You may also want to watch:
Wisbech's scheduled home game against Cleethorpes on Tuesday has been postponed because their scheduled opponents have an FA Cup replay.
- 1 Drink driver arrested after crashing into two trees in Norwich
- 2 Norwich hairdresser, former boxer and bodybuilder, dies from Covid
- 3 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 4 Jack-knifed lorry shuts A148 as police issue ice warning
- 5 9 of Norfolk's most famous blue plaques
- 6 The secrets and scandals of a former Norwich hotel
- 7 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 8 Map reveals the most serious crashes on the NDR since it fully opened
- 9 It's 'a long, long way' until lockdown restrictions are lifted - Hancock
- 10 Up and coming Norwich musician reaches number 13 in UK charts