Wisbech Town 2, Yarmouth Town 0
A goal early in each half won the points for the Fenmen in a game that Yarmouth should have got at least a point from.
Strikes from Chris Bacon and Denny Escorio secured the win for Wisbech, but Yarmouth had plenty of chances to score themselves with Leighton Crux and Neil Hurren among many who were not far from finding the target.
Only five members of the squad that faced Stanway started against Wisbech, Philip Watkins, Fernando Vide, Barney Lawrence, Daniel Burkle and Leighton Crux all kept their places.
Neil Hurren started in attack for Alex Patelli, who dropped to the bench. Captain Callum Jones returned for Daniel Burkle who moved to right back.
Sam Giacomelli returned in the centre of defence, but with others unavailable, Mark Vincent partnered Giacomelli in defence, notching up his 746th appearance for the Bloaters.
Despite the dramatic return, Wisbech took the lead within six minutes. A corner, won from Cartwright's deflected shot, wasn't cleared, with Bacon firing home.
Yarmouth had chances to hit back, with Leighton Crux firing wide with 15 minutes gone. The visitors were more than comfortable, beginning to control the game.
- 1 Norfolk beach named among UK's most contaminated
- 2 Man in 20s killed and another seriously injured in motorbike crash
- 3 Revealed: Buyer of Norwich Airport Industrial Estate - and what they paid
- 4 New reservoir could secure region's water supply - but will cost over £1bn
- 5 Neighbours describe axe brawl in Norfolk village
- 6 Heatwave leaves dried-up pond like 'scene from sci-fi movie'
- 7 Overnight works on stretch of A47 prompt 50-mile diversion for two weeks
- 8 Fighter jet heard roaring over Norwich in night time training exercise
- 9 Protests outside drag queen story event sees police called in
- 10 Man arrested following theft of £16,000 worth of cables
Midway through the first half good buildup play allowed Yarmouth to create another good chance. Hurren was allowed to find Crux via Jones, but the winger fired wide from the edge of the box.
Moments later Charlie McAra's match ended early through a late tackle. From the free kick Vincent's header was powered back across goal with no Yarmouth player able to follow up.
Wisbech tried to regain control of the game, but they were restricted to long range shots.
Ten minutes from the break Yarmouth won another free kick, this time Crux couldn't direct his diving header on target, instead it arrowed inches over the bar.
Five minutes later a clearance by Vincent sent Hurren through. From the edge of the box the striker lobbed the bouncing ball over the keeper, but it wouldn't drop under the bar. Despite the first half domination, Yarmouth couldn't capitalise.
Wisbech started the second half positively as Escorio, sent one of one with Cudden, was thwarted by the visiting keeper.
But four minutes into the second half Wisbech got their second; Bacon cut the ball back to Escorio to sidefoot past Cudden.
Escorio could've got his second six minutes later. Yarmouth were caught out by a diagonal ball which the Wisbech striker volleyed wide of the fast post.
Yarmouth soon regained control of the game, and Vincent could've scored on his return, only to step on the ball as another free kick fell to the defender.
With 20 minutes remaining Yarmouth had another chance, substitute Adamo's shot from 20 yards was deflected over the bar following good work by Crux and fellow substitute Pantelli. From the resulting corner Vincent flick the ball for Crux, who from the byline found the side netting.
Ten minutes later host keeper Roberts was forced to turn Hurren's shot round the post after good work down Yarmouth's right. But despite the hard work Yarmouth couldn't find the back of the net.
Wisbech almost got third of the game with five minutes remaining. Danny Emmington rattled the corner of the woodwork following a short corner, while heading into stoppage time and with a through ball beating Yarmouth's defence, Cudden's reactions were needed to parry a Lewis Thompson's shot round the post.
• Wisbech Town: Tom Roberts, Anthony Reeve, Stacy Cartwright (Scott Johnson, 75), Jon Fairweather, Neal Spafford, Samuel Murphy, Danny Emmington, Lewis Thompson, Chris Bacon (Adam Millson, 75), Denny Escorio (Steven Reid, 75), Olly Pinner. Unused Subs: Paul Cousins, Steve Appleby.
Goals: Bacon (6), Escorio (49)
• Great Yarmouth Town: Ben Cudden, Daniel Burkle, Philip Watkins, Barney Lawrence (Alex Patelli, 57), Mark Vincent, Sam Giacomelli, Charlie McAra (Micael Adamo, 25), Callum Jones, Fernando Vide (Marian Jobbagy, 78), Neil Hurren, Leighton Crux. Unused Subs: Diogo Fernandes, Lee Hackleton.