Wisbech Town 2 Spalding United 2: Fenmen in the hat for FA Cup first qualifying round
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Town are in the hat for the first qualifying round of the FA Cup after holding higher level Spalding United to a draw at the Elgoods Fenland Stadium.
Unsurprisingly, with this being a local derby, there were players on both sides who had appeared for the opposition with eight ex-Tulips in the Wisbech side, but just two former Fenmen in the visitors' squad.
It was the visitors who struck first, Jack Fixter finding the net from six yards after Lee Beeson's 16th-minute free kick found its way to him via a couple of team-mates.
The Fenmen were back on terms in the 33rd minute, good work from Billy Smith down the left found Jon Fairweather in the box and his loss cross was finished with ease by Adam Millson.
Just three minutes later, Michael Frew beat Spalding keeper Michael Duggan at his near post with a fierce shot to give Wisbech a 2-1 half-time lead.
You may also want to watch:
Five minutes after the break, another Beeson free kick led to Jenk Acar equalising for the visitors and despite good efforts by both sides to win the game, they must replay on Tuesday night at Spalding.
- 1 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 2 Norfolk hit by flooding as storms reach the county
- 3 Tributes as Leanne, 29, dies after receiving cancer 'all-clear'
- 4 Pupil taken to hospital after incident at Thorpe St Andrew school
- 5 Land wanted by village sold to mystery buyer for £50,000 more
- 6 Banham Poultry taken over by owner of Bernard Matthews and 2 Sisters
- 7 Patients speak out as surgeon who botched surgeries still working
- 8 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
- 9 Man found dead at Thorpe St Andrew home
- 10 'A lovely talented man': Tributes to Cromer Pier Show headliner Phil Butler