Wisbech Town 2 Spalding United 2: Fenmen in the hat for FA Cup first qualifying round
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Town are in the hat for the first qualifying round of the FA Cup after holding higher level Spalding United to a draw at the Elgoods Fenland Stadium.
Unsurprisingly, with this being a local derby, there were players on both sides who had appeared for the opposition with eight ex-Tulips in the Wisbech side, but just two former Fenmen in the visitors' squad.
It was the visitors who struck first, Jack Fixter finding the net from six yards after Lee Beeson's 16th-minute free kick found its way to him via a couple of team-mates.
The Fenmen were back on terms in the 33rd minute, good work from Billy Smith down the left found Jon Fairweather in the box and his loss cross was finished with ease by Adam Millson.
Just three minutes later, Michael Frew beat Spalding keeper Michael Duggan at his near post with a fierce shot to give Wisbech a 2-1 half-time lead.
You may also want to watch:
Five minutes after the break, another Beeson free kick led to Jenk Acar equalising for the visitors and despite good efforts by both sides to win the game, they must replay on Tuesday night at Spalding.
- 1 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 2 Aviva to close two large office sites in Norwich
- 3 Nurse's 'heartbreak' over hospital care as her father dies on Covid ward
- 4 Councillor 'incandescent' over second-home owners breaking Covid rules
- 5 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 6 Deputy lieutenant of Norfolk sells beloved thatched Broads home
- 7 'I've lost my pension': Car collection destroyed by 'professional' vandal
- 8 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
- 9 Woman in her 20s among 31 Covid patients to die in five days at hospital
- 10 Timeline: When should you receive the coronavirus vaccine?