Wisbech looking to kick-start cup run in Senior Vase
Wisbech's management are hoping a good cup run can kick-start their side's season.
The Harecroft Road club are unbeaten at home this term but slipped to their third successive away defeat at Old Cooperians on Saturday. And now boss Cliff Humphreys is looking for another win on their own turf when Datchworth visit in the Senior Vase first round tomorrow.
Humphreys said: 'A cup run is very important. I'm a traditionalist and when you look back in the record books Wisbech has a history of good cup runs.
'Last year we did very well in the Vase until we were knocked out by Old Priorians, who went far in the competition.
'Hopefully there will be a good crowd who will get behind the team and we can deliver a great cup victory.'
Ill discipline cost Wisbech as they lost 30-13 to Cooperians in the London North-East Division Three last time out.
The visitors were leading 13-8 early in the second half but lost two players to the sin-bin and shipped 22 unanswered points to leave empty handed.
- 1 'I'm sorry' - Woman behind cancelled festival offers customers £100,000
- 2 Norfolk man's relatable videos earn him millions of views and celeb fans
- 3 Noise warning issued due to late night fighter jet training over airbase
- 4 Stained glass shop to close its doors after almost 30 years
- 5 Police officer sacked for dishonesty gets job back after appeal
- 6 Met Office to build 80ft 'golf ball' weather radar after winning appeal
- 7 7 riverside walks to try in Norfolk with a pub pit stop
- 8 Rogue landlords hit with £67,500 in fines in scheme praised by tenants
- 9 Four taken to hospital after crash involving ambulance on A146
- 10 Platform offering stunning views of north Norfolk coast reopens
'When you play 20 of the last 25 minutes with 14 men you are always going to be under pressure,' said Humphreys.
'After our second half performance against Upminster when we rattled in the tries we thought we had turned the corner but we still seem to be missing a spark.
'We have scored the second highest number of tries in the league but we have conceded the second most tries as well.
'Leonard (Veenendaal, coach) and I both feel this squad is capable of better things.'