Wisbech looking to kick-start cup run in Senior Vase
Wisbech's management are hoping a good cup run can kick-start their side's season.
The Harecroft Road club are unbeaten at home this term but slipped to their third successive away defeat at Old Cooperians on Saturday. And now boss Cliff Humphreys is looking for another win on their own turf when Datchworth visit in the Senior Vase first round tomorrow.
Humphreys said: 'A cup run is very important. I'm a traditionalist and when you look back in the record books Wisbech has a history of good cup runs.
'Last year we did very well in the Vase until we were knocked out by Old Priorians, who went far in the competition.
'Hopefully there will be a good crowd who will get behind the team and we can deliver a great cup victory.'
You may also want to watch:
Ill discipline cost Wisbech as they lost 30-13 to Cooperians in the London North-East Division Three last time out.
The visitors were leading 13-8 early in the second half but lost two players to the sin-bin and shipped 22 unanswered points to leave empty handed.
- 1 Risk of flooding in parts of region as storms slowly move in
- 2 Man taken to hospital after cardiac arrest at beach
- 3 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 4 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival
- 5 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
- 6 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 7 City ready for Cantwell and Aarons end game
- 8 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 9 Norwich Bus Station building closed due to Covid ping
- 10 'Do your bit to slow spread' - plea as Covid hospital admissions remain low
'When you play 20 of the last 25 minutes with 14 men you are always going to be under pressure,' said Humphreys.
'After our second half performance against Upminster when we rattled in the tries we thought we had turned the corner but we still seem to be missing a spark.
'We have scored the second highest number of tries in the league but we have conceded the second most tries as well.
'Leonard (Veenendaal, coach) and I both feel this squad is capable of better things.'