Wisbech have already used up one life in their London North-East Division Three relegation battle

Wisbech, red, are fighting against the drop from London NE3. Picture: Steve Williams.

Wisbech, red, are fighting against the drop from London NE3. Picture: Steve Williams. - Credit: Archant

Wisbech travel to relegated Canvey Island having already used one of their get out of jail cards at the weekend.

The Harecroft Road outfit occupy the third and final relegation spot in London North-East Division Three and looked to be slipping further into the mire when they faced fellow strugglers Wymondham.

The scores were tied at 21-all with just seconds left on the clock when they secured a crucial victory thanks to Joe Barfoot's try. The win leaves them still tied on points with the side directly above them, Old Brentwoods – despite having played a game more – and targeting another priceless win tomorrow against the league's basement boys.

Coach Leonard Veenendaal said: 'We certainly fought hard in the second half and we are hanging in there. We know we must win all the remaining fixtures to stay up.'

Early in the first half Wisbech didn't help their own cause although they did take an early lead when Jon Turner powered over to score a try. Second-from-bottom Wymondham bagged a converted try and shortly after Wisbech lost Greg Brownlow when he was given a red card for an alleged headbutt. Down to 14, the hosts were forced to dig in. A Jack Malkin penalty put Veenendaal and Cliff Humphreys' side briefly back into the lead but by half time Wymondham scored another converted try .

Veenendaal provided a stern lecture to his troops at the break, however shortly after the restart Wymondam extended their lead with a converted try under the posts. Wisbech fought back, led by skipper Ali Comben, who scored a try out wide to reduce the arrears. The home side continued to impress as they outmuscled the visitors in the forward exchanges. Man on the match Turner added his second try and with five minutes to go a Malkin penalty levelled the scores.

The visitors gave away penalty on their 22-metre line at the death. The referee confirmed that there was not any time left and so the only option was to kick for goal. Turner stepped up to take the kick but hooked the ball in field. Barfoot was able to gather the ball and managed to crash over under the posts for a dramatic finish. Malkin converted to make sure.

Most Read

Wymondham now need a miracle to preserve their NE3 status and sit 16 points behind Wisbech – who have given themselves a fighting chance of staying up.