Wisbech frustrated by London North-East Division Three postponement against Canvey Island

Wisbech may have been handed four league points at the weekend without doing anything – but manager Cliff Humphreys was still frustrated.

While the 'victory' moved them onto 16 points in London North-East Division Three, officials at the Harecroft Road outfit were disappointed that basement boys Canvey Island were unable to fulfil the fixture. The Islanders claimed that illness and injury prevented them from selecting a team to travel to Cambridgeshire. And Humphreys feels his men were robbed of more than just the opportunity to play some rugby at the weekend.

He said: 'I felt that had the game been played we would have had an excellent chance to gain a try bonus point and also to have improved our points difference. It is particularly annoying as the teams we are chasing have already played Canvey and have secured extra points.

'Saturday's game would have also been the first home game for the first team in three weeks and needless to say would have provided a boost to club funds, especially as we are away to Harlow on Saturday.'

One or two of the club's first-team players travelled with the seconds, as did coach Leonard Veenendaal and Humphreys, for their match against UEA Trojans.

You may also want to watch:

Three sets of brothers; Josh and Sam Anderson, Ali and James Comben and Steven and Darren Priest all featured as Wisbech's second string ran out convincing 32-0 winners.

Sam Anderson and James Napier – regular first teamers – shone as the former slotted an early penalty with the latter crashing over for the first try of the game. Joe Barfoot was able to intercept a wayward pass to score under the posts, the first of his three tries. while Iwan Jones and Greg Brownlow made a number of carries to see Wisbech into the break 27-0 up.

Most Read

In the second half the visitors were playing uphill and problems were further compounded when Nobby Clark was sin binned for going off his feet at ruck. The Wisbech defence was strong. Fly-half Steven Priest took control of the game pinning UEA back with the boot. The hosts had a scrum on their own five which Wisbech were able to turn over and drive the UEA pack back for number eight Ben Chapman to score.

'I'm over the moon with this unexpected victory and hope we take this form into our next match against local rivals West Norfolk III tomorrow,' said skipper Olly Mackett.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter