Wisbech coach at a loss to explain why London NE3 side fail to fire for 80 minutes

Coach Leonard Veenendaal is trying to figure out a way to ensure Wisbech's performances last the duration of the game.

The Harecroft Road outfit's form in London North-East Division Three has been patchy this term with displays littered with many positve and negative moments. A host of the latter arrived during last weekend's 41-24 loss at Harlow and now Veenendaal is looking for an improvement this weekend when promotion challengers Sudbury arrive in Cambridgeshire.

Manager Cliff Humphreys said: 'Saturday was a very disappointing performance by Wisbech and Leonard is at a loss to explain why the team do not perform for 80 minutes.

'We have some very talented players but there seems to be something missing. We really should have got something out of this game as for long periods, especially in the second half, we dominated but to concede five first-half tries, four of which came from missed tackles, was too much for us to peg back.'

Harlow scored in the first five minutes when their winger brushed past a covering tackle. Wisbech responded and within five minutes had levelled matters when David 'Holloway' Brodie crossed the line. The hosts then scored a well-worked try when their influential wing forward created space for the centre to score.

You may also want to watch:

Once again Wisbech responded when James Napier was on hand to collect the ball after a powerful forward drive to score. But the visitors gifted their opponents three tries as tackles were missed to give the home team held a commanding 31-10 half-time lead.

In the second half Wisbech looked a different team and pushed the home side back. Ben Chapman put in another sterling performance at number eight and was rewarded when he crossed the line to score. Sam Anderson slotted over the conversation.

Most Read

Wisbech continued to dominate and came close on a number of occasions before Napier scored his scored second try which Anderson converted. The reds were now within a converted try of Harlow but they kicked a penalty to ease the pressure. And in the last five minutes Wisbech were encamped in Harlow's 22 metres as they went in search of a try but a defensive clearance kick from Harlow was chased down by the home winger who scored on full time.

Humphreys added: 'If only we could start the games as we finish them. The final score line did flatter Harlow but we can not keep giving away easy tries.'

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter