Winn the hero as King’s Lynn grab important point
- Credit: Matthew Usher
Frickley Athletic 1 King's Lynn Town 1
Substitute Peter Winn was the hero as King's Lynn fought back from a goal down last night to come away from Westfield Lane with a point,
The Linnets started the better of the two sides, with Stephen Spriggs forcing Ben Simpson into a smart save with a shot from 25 yards in the second minute.
The home side lost Simpson through injury in the 18th minute and shortly afterwards his replacement, Sam Leigh, was forced to tip a 20 yard free-kick from David Bell over the bar after Jones had been brought down just outside the box.
Frickley started to come into the game with Alex Street dashing out to clear from the onrushing Gavin Allott on 34 minutes. And the home side took the lead in the 43rd minute from the penalty spot when Reece Thompson was pulled back by Henry Eze, who was fortunate to escape with a yellow card. Allott stepped up to blast the spot kick past Street.
You may also want to watch:
The Linnets lost captain Bell at half-time, Winn replacing him.
Chances were at a premium in the second half although Brad Riley saw his angled 18 yards shot deflected just wide on 69 minutes for Frickley.
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Broadband down across Norfolk as Sky internet hit by issue
- 3 Drug dealer walks free from court for his 145th offence
- 4 Police called to troublespot Norwich hotel 324 times in two years
- 5 New 20mph speed cameras to tackle NDR rat-runners
- 6 Police search undergrowth as man arrested for murder of missing woman
- 7 'Is this a wind up?' - Artist's shock as Delia buys 101 of his paintings
- 8 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000
- 9 The best restaurant in Norfolk for a romantic date revealed
- 10 Former City skipper a frontrunner for Swansea job
The Linnets equalised two minutes later when a quick break down the right by Spriggs ended with his cross being spilt by Leigh and Winn followed up to score.
Desperate for the points to move away from the relegation zone, Frickley rallied briefly late on with Street rushing out to clear from Allott and then blocking on the line from Thompson following a deep free-kick from James Kay in the 87th minute.
Frickley Athletic: B Simpson (Leigh 18), M Parkinson, J Kay, L Hornsey, J Cyrus, J Ible, B Riley (South 82), Bloor, Thompson, Allott, Hinsley.
King's Lynn: Street, Watson (Stocker 55), Yong, Fryatt, Eze, Marshall, Bell (Winn 45), Bridges, Mulready (Zielonka 76), Spriggs, Jones. Unused. Coleman.