Wingate & Finchley 1 Lowestoft Town 1: Late goal denies Trawlerboys

Michael Spillane was on target with a penalty for Lowestoft Town at Wingate & Finchley.

Michael Spillane was on target with a penalty for Lowestoft Town at Wingate & Finchley. - Credit: Eastern Daily Press © 2016

A goal in the 89th minute denied Lowestoft victory at Wingate & Finchley as their failure to kill the game off came back to haunt the Trawlerboys late on.

For long periods of the game the Trawlerboys were in the ascendancy but again the failure to have the killer instinct in front of goal eventually cost them dearly.

Lowestoft survived a first-minute scare as Rob Laney broke clear but keeper Jamie Waite saved the day with a brave diving save at the feet of the striker.

It didn't take long for Lowestoft to get their game flowing, producing some excellent passing moves.

A neat flick from Jake Reed set up Joe Mardsen whose volley flashed into the side netting. Harvey Hodd was looking lively in his latest debut and was linking up well with Reed and it was a clever ball from the newcomer which released Reed who was foiled by an excellent diving save by Shane Gore.

Lowestoft were producing some of the most impressive form of the season but were constantly being thwarted by the offside flag.

The goal they had been threatening finally arrived in the 41st minute. A mazy run into the penalty area by Marsden ended with the midfielder being brought down in the area by the combined efforts of Ryan Sellars and Sean Cronin and Michael Spillane stepped up to blast home the spot kick. Spurred on by that goal Lowestoft should have added a second before the break but Rory McAuley headed wide at the far post from a left wing free-kick.

Most Read

Lowestoft started the second half on top with Reed and Hodd both going close, but Wingate were coming more into the game and started finding holes in the Lowestoft defence and had a great chance to equalise but Freddy Moncur shot wide with just Waite to beat.

Lowestoft sent on Ryan Jarvis in place of Hodd and he was soon in the action going through the inside left channel, but his pull-back arrived at an awkward height for Reed who could only volley over the bar.

As the game reached its final quarter Wingate were pressing more and they got their reward in the 89th minute. A corner from the left saw skipper Cronin rise high at the far post to send a header looping over Waite and just under the bar.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter