Wharton wins Senior Masters event at Marriott Sprowston Manor
- Credit: Archant
There was some impressive low scoring as the Senior Masters Tour made another visit to Norfolk this week.
The East of England Masters Championship at Marriott Sprowston Manor produced a thrilling battle for the £1,000 top prize, with Woburn's Mark Wharton edging home by one shot after finishing on nine under par for his two rounds.
Wharton, winner of the tour event at Bawburgh in June, was four shots off the lead after a first round which was dominated by Paul Streeter, who posted an outstanding six under par round of 65.
But he took centre stage on Wednesday as he went round in 64, with a birdie putt at the last sealing a narrow triumph over Streeter, who had to settle for a 69.
Jimmy Murphy and Steve McNally finished with 65s to claim third and fourth places on seven under and six under par respectively while Bob Cameron (70, 69) completed the top five.
You may also want to watch:
Bawburgh's Mark Spooner finished on level par (71, 71) which was good enough for seventh position.
- 1 Two Norfolk hotels named among the best in the country
- 2 Man dies following crash between tractor and car
- 3 Farmhouse sells at auction after 60 bids - but how much did it go for?
- 4 Jonny to the rescue! Boyfriend springs into action after coffee spill drama
- 5 Family's anger at sentencing of driver who killed 'kind and caring' nan
- 6 12 police vehicles called to 'very serious' crash in west Norfolk
- 7 Wife's tribute to horse-loving 'true-gentleman' after inquest
- 8 The top-rated McDonald's in Norfolk according to Tripadvisor
- 9 Former policeman to appear in court accused of rape
- 10 The Original Factory Shop opens its doors in north Norfolk