Wharton wins Senior Masters event at Marriott Sprowston Manor
- Credit: Archant
There was some impressive low scoring as the Senior Masters Tour made another visit to Norfolk this week.
The East of England Masters Championship at Marriott Sprowston Manor produced a thrilling battle for the £1,000 top prize, with Woburn's Mark Wharton edging home by one shot after finishing on nine under par for his two rounds.
Wharton, winner of the tour event at Bawburgh in June, was four shots off the lead after a first round which was dominated by Paul Streeter, who posted an outstanding six under par round of 65.
But he took centre stage on Wednesday as he went round in 64, with a birdie putt at the last sealing a narrow triumph over Streeter, who had to settle for a 69.
Jimmy Murphy and Steve McNally finished with 65s to claim third and fourth places on seven under and six under par respectively while Bob Cameron (70, 69) completed the top five.
You may also want to watch:
Bawburgh's Mark Spooner finished on level par (71, 71) which was good enough for seventh position.
- 1 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 2 Aviva to close two large office sites in Norwich
- 3 Nurse's 'heartbreak' over hospital care as her father dies on Covid ward
- 4 Councillor 'incandescent' over second-home owners breaking Covid rules
- 5 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 6 Deputy lieutenant of Norfolk sells beloved thatched Broads home
- 7 'I've lost my pension': Car collection destroyed by 'professional' vandal
- 8 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
- 9 Woman in her 20s among 31 Covid patients to die in five days at hospital
- 10 Timeline: When should you receive the coronavirus vaccine?