Weymouth 2 King’s Lynn Town 0 – Linnets return home empty handed from 500-mile round trip

Lynn's Kern Miller, right, limped off at Weymouth. Picture: Ian Burt

Lynn's Kern Miller, right, limped off at Weymouth. Picture: Ian Burt - Credit: Ian Burt

King's Lynn Town fell to their sixth defeat on their travels in the Southern League Premier Division this term as goals from Weymouth's Stewart Yetton and Jordan Copp settled a tight game.

Having grabbed a late winner to seal a league double over Histon last time out, Gary Setchell's men went into their clash at the Bob Lucas Stadium in 15th place. But the first chance fell to the home side when a throw from the right from full-back Mark Cooper eventually found its way to playmaker Chris Shephard, who hit a stinging strike from the edge of the box which Linnets' stopper Alex Street dealt with well.

Moments later, Lynn's Liam Hurst was given enough room to let fly from 25 yards and showed his threat from distance. With Terras' player-manager Jason Matthews flying to his left in the hosts' goal, Hurst's attempt whistled past the post.

Lynn fell behind when Weymouth striker Yetton rose highest and headed into the corner on 21 minutes. Hurst then showed his intent once more for the Linnets with another strike from range which fell narrowly wide.

A slick one-two saw Weymouth's Evans play the ball into the path of Shephard, whose effort was charged down by onrushing gloveman Street. The Lynn keeper also did well to get back up and deny Cooper on the follow up. Setchell changed things shortly after the break, switching Sam Gaughran for Matthew Castellan. Still a goal down, the visitors showed their threat on the counter in the second period as striker Toby Hilliard tussled with Calvin Brooks. The former's shot was blocked by Pat Baldwin and Mulready blazed the rebound well over. But just past the hour mark, the Terras doubled their lead through substitute Copp. He was clipped just inside the box by Castellan and referee Adrian Tranter showed no hesitation in pointing to the spot.

Copp saw his spot-kick parried onto the post by a superb save from Street, but, after the ball came off the post, the Lynn gloveman could do nothing as the taker kept his cool to smash home the rebound and make it 2-0.

Lynn's misery was then made even worse late on when, having made three changes, an injury to Kern Miller meant they had to play the remaining eight minutes a man light.

Most Read

Weymouth: Matthews, Cooper, Wannell, Evans, Baldwin, Brooks, Copp (Wells, 80), Lowes (McPhee, 46), Yetton (Jevon, 86), Thomson, Shephard. Subs not used: Kelly, Sills.

King's Lynn Town: Street, R Fryatt, Yong, Miller, Gaughran (Castellan, 49), Smith, Mulready, Hurst, Hilliard (Edge, 72), Stevenson, Zielonka (Friend, 60). Sub not used: L Fryatt

Bookings: None

Referee: Adrian Tranter (Poole)

Attendance: 465