West Norfolk boss Nigel Richardson expects a reaction
West Norfolk boss Nigel Richardson expects a reaction from his players as they begin their league campaign this weekend on the back of a 55-0 drubbing at Norwich.
Wests were deservedly hammered by higher-level Norwich in the first round of the Norfolk Cup.
And a fired-up Richardson wants a response as his side host Newmarket in their first Greene King Eastern Counties Division One game of the season.
He said: 'It was pretty evident they were a league higher than us but there weren't many positives from the game for us.
'I didn't scream and shout as I didn't think it would be constructive.
You may also want to watch:
'Most of the lads know they let themselves down. We learnt a lot and we need to man up. We're looking for a positive start at the weekend.
'There should be a big crowd and the lads know they will have to perform 100 times better than they did on Saturday.'
- 1 £6.1m shopping street revamp will take half of 2022 to complete
- 2 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
- 3 Councils could spend millions to buy former Aviva office for new HQ
- 4 Five former MoD homes go up for sale near Norwich
- 5 MP and parents concerned over traffic and parking chaos outside school
- 6 Christmas Lights Walk with toasted marshmallows coming to garden
- 7 Roof collapses into home after major blaze engulfs it
- 8 Seven cosy pubs to visit in Norfolk this winter
- 9 Man arrested on suspicion of stalking after notes left on women's cars
- 10 City keeper diagnosed with testicular cancer
Ted Moore has returned to the club this summer while winger Joe Butt, who is not in the weekend squad, has switched from football to rugby to join Wests.
Alex Singleton, Christian May, Ollie Denton and debutants Henry Rust, 17, and Fijian Tui Ulallasi are expected to feature.
Richardson admits 'very influential' flanker Craig Edwards' absence, after deciding to join the army, will be a 'big miss' this season.
Wymondham – relegated from London Division 3NE last season – will be keen to get their season off to a winning start when they host Ipswich YM, while the third Norfolk side at this level, Crusaders, are away to Mersea Island.